I was just settling in for a comfy evening in front of the telly on Friday night when I got a phone call from the relieving manager of the retirement village where my parents live. Mum had fallen and sustained a significant injury to her left bicep area.
I met her at the hospital just as the ambulance arrived with her. The ambos had her injury listed as a skin tear so she was not treated with any urgency. When we finally got admitted and seen by a nurse who took the dressing down we found out that it wasn't just the skin that was torn, it was full thickness flesh down to the muscle. Ew. She was admitted to a ward and went to theatre on Saturday afternoon and I took her home yesterday. Her behaviour was pretty good considering what she has been like in the past.
Other Brother was driving down from Canberra for the weekend. I rang him to let him know what had happened and he went straight to the parents' place. He was a huge help this weekend as Dr Teacher was moving and also overseeing the auction of his partner's place cos she's driving round Australia with her son - a long planned adventure. I was exhausted on Saturday having been at the hospital til 3.15 am and then going back at 10.30am. Other Brother looked after Dad and I looked after Mum.
This morning Other Brother went to say goodbye on his way home to find that Mum had had an 'accident' and there was faeces from the kitchen to the bathroom and back as she walked over it with her wheely frame. Dr Teacher and I have dealt with this in the past but it was the first time for Other Brother. When I went up there this afternoon Mum dismissed it as the antibiotics disagreeing with her. There's always a reason but we're going to have to deal with this somehow. On top of everything else she is showing early signs of dementia.
On a brighter note, Two moved out over the weekend (like we needed more to do!). He decided a couple of weeks ago that he needed to move in somewhere by himself and was lucky that the first place he looked at was the one. It's old and a bit damp but large and inexpensive and in a really good area. Unfortunately when GGF and he split she took just about everything. In fact the only stuff she didn't take he dug his heel in over. But lets not get started on that!
Three started a new job this evening. He will be working two jobs for 4 days this week until his old job's notice has been worked out. As the new job is evening work I'm hoping he will either get a second job or study or something other than sleep and play xbox.
DH and I have had a nasty bug. It's left me with an infuriating cough that won't go away and is driving me batty.
Less than 4 weeks before we get Bonnie. Can't wait.
Once I can work out how to get photos off email I'll post them here.
Time to veg in front of the telly.
Oh wow. It never rains but it pours. Hope things get themselves worked out soon. Good luck.
ReplyDeleteSo, an empty nester now? Sweet!
At this point, NOTHING surprises me when it comes to caring for elderly parents.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited about the puppy!!!!
I hope your Mum is doing better now.
ReplyDeleteIt will be a few weeks before we will know if Coco is pregnant. *sigh*
ReplyDelete