Friday, 22 July 2011

The next stage

Today we move Dad into a permanent aged care facility and on Monday Mum will move in, too.

A week ago Dr Teacher and I spent the day with the parents trying to get Mum to agree to go to hospital because she couldn't weight bear on her right leg.  In the end her GP ordered X-rays which we managed with great difficulty getting her in and out of my car and he then arranged for her to be admitted to hospital for investigations.  I had to arrange an urgent respite bed for Dad.

On Monday Dr Teacher and I saw a financial advisor who specialises in aged care and we found that Mum and Dad could afford to move into the facility that we three siblings had looked at the previous week.  And liked.  I checked out another facility on Tuesday and was shocked.  I'm so glad we looked at the good one first.

So, in three weeks we've gone from Mum saying that snow would freeze in hell before she would move into permanent care to her desperate to move asap!  You can only begin to imagine the running around and emotional stress we've all been under.

I just hope that she likes it cos there ain't no going back!

5 comments:

  1. I hope it all works out for them and you guys can finally relax a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope they are all right. I've heard that the standards of care do range greatly. Glad you got a good one.

    Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Honey, I can't believe how much has happened in the last couple of months. Sorry I haven't been by in so long. I'm glad your Mum agreed to the move and I hope and pray they will be happy and comfortable there. What a long, hard journey this has been for you and your family. Love from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is things going Chick? Your parents ok? Kids?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re : Nasty comments. Yes, a lot of them are about what a dreadful person I am, how I should NOT have Brylee and Griffin, how I am the worst example of a mother... but also saying I had a 'drugged out, alcoholic' drop kick daughter who lost her kids cos of that... but that it was my fault! Said I was a whore for having Stew move into my home after only knowing him for 10 days.... and lots of other nasty things... got about 10 comments from 'Tina' now! I just keep deleting them. I am not going to give him/her the satisfaction of publishing them!

    ReplyDelete