I have high blood pressure. I've had it quite a while (about as long as I've had a major weight problem!!) It is controlled with medication .... IF I take the medication. If I don't it can get scary high (like make doctors panic high).
I also have high cholesterol (see above comment - applies to both!)
I have found a lovely doctor who, for the first time, doesn't preach or make me feel foolish for not addressing my lifestyle related health issues. Consequently, I have been renewing my scripts when they're due (rather than waiting for a blood pressure event) and this time I even had the blood test he ordered.
My cholesterol has come down (still high but better - thanks to meds). My blood counts are good, my kidneys are good. My liver could be better but isn't different to last time. BUT ... my blood sugar was up. For the first time in my life.
Doctor Lovely told me that I need to lose weight. He said it in the nicest way but one which brooked no argument. I see the practice nurse on Monday to discuss lifestyle issues and get a management plan happening which means I get 5 allied health appointments subsidised by the government. Dr. L and I decided on 5 exercise physiology appointments as I really don't need a dietitian. I know the shit, I just don't follow it!
I haven't told Himself yet. I know he will be supportive but I don't need the hovering and the questioning of my every action.
Also, the fewer people I tell, the longer I can bury my head in the sand!
I give myself this weekend and then the gloves are off and I need to face this battle. It could cost me my life.
Good luck with the health management! I am also on blood pressure and cholesterol meds. I haven't really spoken to my GP about weight yet. I think I should do something about it but although the brain might be bordering on willing, the heart is very definitely not.
ReplyDeleteI was exactly the same. HIgh blood pressure, high cholesterol,blood sugar levels, you name it, I had it basically. Now... it's all turned around. I'm rather proud of myself and you can be too. Just do what you KNOW you have to and BOOM! Sorted. *smiles*
ReplyDelete