It's been a bit of a hectic week what with one thing and another.
Three and his lot were down for the long weekend. He made me a gin cocktail using a rosemary infused simple syrup and very nice it was, too.
Last year Sally showed interest in the bouncy floaty contraption but chickened out at the last minute. This year she was game.
She had to be accompanied by an adult so Three stepped up to the task (nursing a massive hangover from a night of unusual drinking and discussing politics with his father). The groups have to have a safety briefing and Sally and Three are in there somewhere (I can see them if I look hard enough) ...
Alice was obviously way too young but Amy promised her a boat ride. She loves boats and anything water related.
Setting off ...
... away they go ...
... cruising around the back of the bouncy floaty thing trying to see Dad and Sissy ...
Sally was a bit perturbed when she realised that she was actually going to get wet. I have no idea what went through her mind when she was told she had to wear a life jacket! Also there are a LOT of jelly fish in the lakes at the momentthat were quite offputting but eventually a good time was had by all. She came off before the hour was up and Three went back for a bit more without having to keep an eye on her.
Ice creams were consumed afterwards and the kids slept very well that night.
The official U3A term starts this week but a couple of classes went back last week and I started cryptic crosswords which have always fascinated me (my father used to do the Times crossword IN INK!) and I had a great time so that will continue.
On Thursday I was invited to a Lioness' meeting which was a morning tea instead of the usual evening one. Another great group of ladies and I will think about joining them.
Friday was coffee with Prue and then in the afternoon I was up at the new digs for U3A showing a couple of facilitators how to use the tv which Himself and a friend's husband installed on Thursday.
The big event on Friday was the delivery of our new fridge. We decided to take a store credit as the replacement was put back til the end of April and we went with the same model we had in our previous two houses. A Fisher and Paykel french door with a water dispenser in the door and an ice maker in the freezer. We had no problems with this model in the past so fingers crossed the trend continues.
Yesterday I spent a couple of hours with the secretary of U3A to learn what I have to do in my role as publicity person that I somehow volunteered to take on at the last meeting. Turns out she used to know our ex landlord. They haven't been in touch for quite a few years but she was still a bit surprised and disappointed in how things have been managed.
On Thursday Himself got a call from the property manager saying the landlord would accept $500 and would withdraw the VCAT claim (which is on Tuesday). We said that was an unreasonable amount for a 40 year old carpet in poor condition. I really hope VCAT agrees with us!
It's hot today so of course, I am baking bread and biscuits (cookies). The biscuits are to take to our first U3A classes tomorrow and Tuesday. We are in for a very hot few days this week. Thank goodness for airconditioning.
If I don't get back before Tuesday, keep your fingers crossed for us.






Yes! Thank goodness for airconditioning! Mine only does the lounge room, so that's where I spend the most time.
ReplyDeleteThe bouncy floaty thing looks like a lot of fun, I think I'd like that.
I agree $500 is too much for a carpet that old and worn.
We have ducted cooling so can pick the room to sit in. Just as well or I might have killed someone by now!
DeleteP.S. how much freezer space is in one of those fridges? I find I need more freezer space than I do fridge space when I'm cooking and portioning foods to freeze for the few weeks ahead.
ReplyDeleteThe freezer capacity is fine. I need to arrange it better (someone just dumped stuff from the old freezer into it) but I cook and freeze several meals.
DeleteGood luck with VCAT. Fingers crossed for you. Penguin.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Penguin. Getting a bit nervous.
DeleteOur lot did a similar water thingy a couple of weeks ago... obviously I didn't! 40 year old carpet, oh please.... how bloody stupid is that landlord.
ReplyDeleteI can understand stupid landlords but the property manager seems to think they will win which worries me as does she know something I don't?
DeleteA good son would line up a second cocktail for his dear mother.
ReplyDeleteSon and father sorted the world and then completely forgot their conclusions the next day.
Pretty nice to have such good family fun.
Your fridge sounds the same as mine, but you have a water dispenser and ice maker, so it must be plumbed in.
I'm pleased you are not giving in the landlord. She is now clearly on the backfoot if she is prepared to accept $500.
My very wealthy neighbour messaged me, 'My son has told me I must turn on my air conditioning. Should I?' Me: 'H, you should have turned it on at 8am to keep your apartment cool'. This is infuriating me. She is rich and I am not, but to me heating and cooling is a priority.
The good son created several cocktails for his doddery old mother.
DeleteOur fridges have been plumbed in since the Bonbeach house in 2008. It does make life a little easier and the water is filtered so always tastes good.
Your neighbour sounds like my friend. They don't seem to understand it costs more to cool an already hot house than to keep the temperature steady before things heat up.
Mine runs non-stop when we have heatwaves like now.
DeleteI'm curious: what is the Lioness group about? Great name.
ReplyDeleteLionesses are a spin off from Lions which is an organisation a bit like Rotary - they raise money and do good things. Here, the Lionesses seem to raise most of their funds through catering for events others don't want to do themselves.
DeleteYou have certainly become part of a community! Good for you! Sally is a brave girl! And her daddy is a good father.
ReplyDeleteIt hasn't been easy, Mary. Most days I would prefer to stay at home but I know I need to get out to meet people and if I can contribute to my new community then even better.
DeleteSounds like quite the adventure to the bouncy island, though I could do without jellyfish. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteI also think $500 is an outrageous amount to expect for 40-year-old carpeting. Let's see if a better settlement offer is forthcoming.
They were rather large jelly fish, too. Not as dangerous as some we have but apparently they can sting.
DeleteIt seems as if everyone bar the landlord can see the idiocy of the claim - I hope the VCAT member sides with the majority!
My comment went....
ReplyDeleteIt's not even in spam prison. :(
DeleteI cannot do cryptic crosswords, as much as I have tried. My brain doesn't work that way - actually, delete 'that way.' The gin sounds nice - such a clean drink.
ReplyDeleteI get on a roll with the clues then something in my brain shuts down and it all becomes gobbledygook. I am hoping that regular training will help!
DeleteThe gin was very refreshing.
With cryptics many of the clues actually contain the answers, in anagrams or similar. I have a go at them but rarely get them out.
DeleteFor example, one of today's clues is : "Lost keys on Hebridean island."
ReplyDeleteLost indicates the keys are not where they should be, so rearrange those letters to become Skye which is the Hebridean island. And that's the only clue I've worked out so far.