A few weeks ago the cats were obsessed with the door to my yarn cupboard (I used to have a yarn room but we downsized). I opened it up and saw this critter. Yes, I needed to vacuum but when you live with a long-haired german shepherd this is your reality. At first I only saw the head and tail and thought the worst but when I realised he/she had legs I was ok. I kept the curious cats and dogs at bay while Himself got a container and we moved old mate into the front garden and we haven't seen him since. Apparently Himself had seen him around the house but hadn't been able to catch him. He was about 25cms (10 inches) from tip to tail so not huge but big enough to need to be removed.
This fine fellow is, I believe, an Eastern Egret ...
... and this chap is a white faced heron ...
... but I stand to be corrected as my bird knowledge is still really limited to obvious ones like kookaburras, magpies, members of the parrot/cockatoo families, swans and pelicans. Anything else is really a guess.
After Three and his lot were down last we started finding odd things around the house and garden. A tacky cat ornament, an even tackier diamond dot cat picture and gnomes!
They had gone op shopping and thought it would be amusing to buy and hide these things in plain sight. To their absolute glee it took us ages to notice some of them! And we either walked past them or sat in front of them every. single. day!!!
Today has been a tad chilly with a lot of rain which is needed so I am not complaining (actually I prefer cold and wet to hot and sunny but don't tell anyone - they'll think I'm crazy). I went to the gym for the first time without the trainer supervising me and really enjoyed it. The anxiety levels were up there but I named it and tamed it (thanks Pixie, for your post that reminded me of this technique), pulled up my big girl pants and toddled off.
Himself is off to Melbourne tomorrow for an ophthalmologist appointment to address a cataract in his good eye. He plans to go up and back in the day but I would prefer him to stay with one of the boys or the Mermaid as I am not confident the timing of the appointment will go as he expects. I am assuming the cataract will need to be repaired which will entail a couple of nights in the big smoke but that will be at a date to be decided.
I will have my usual U3A history class, the gym and then a trip to Bairnsdale to see a podiatrist. I might even check out a shop for a pair of bathers (swimsuit for non Australians) as the gym is part of the local pool complex and my membership gives me access. The last time I was in a pool/owned bathers was for hydrotherapy after my knee replacement at the beginning of 2020 and prior to that was probably when the boys were little tackers and I'd take them to the local pool but even then I tended to sit on the edge and watch rather than get in and get wet!
Homemade hamburgers for dinner and Himself is cooking. Might go and have a glass of red in anticipation.
Homemade hamburgers for dinner and Himself is cooking. Might go and have a glass of red in anticipation.




Critters in the house is so common here. We don’t even react to it anymore. Mostly at the turning of the seasons. Clever critters trying to find somewhere safe and cosy. My opinion is. If they don’t pay rent or help with the chores they have to go.
ReplyDeleteOne year my son added a small yoda figure in my nativity set. It took me a whole week to work out why it looked odd
So lovely to see you back. Congrats on your weight loss, you have a great mindset. Good luck with the exercise, I exercise very regularly and am happy it’s part of my routine. Where did that two years go, you’re amazing being so involved in your community. Marie, Cheltenham
ReplyDeleteWe get little things called Skinks inside the house. Harmless but not welcome. In New Zealand we called swimsuits 'togs' but I have noticed that's not used quite as often as it was.
ReplyDeleteSmart little lizard (?) finding a warm place to live. For a while anyway. You're sounding good these days. Is any weaving happening yet?
ReplyDeleteNo judging on the dog hair, my house is the same way. Short haired dogs aren't any better, they shed twice a year for two months each time.
ReplyDeleteThose birds are beautiful. When your grandkids come next time, you'll have to hide gnomes in their luggage for them to find when they get home. Fair turnabout.
Enjoy your swimming, I know I always do. If I was rich that is one thing I would have is an indoor swimming pool.
Lizards and water birds- you and I are seeing very similar things right now.
ReplyDeleteIt is SO good to hear your voice again.
I am so glad you liberated the lizard! (And so is he/she, I'm sure.)
ReplyDeleteDog and cat hair here - I should take up felting. Enjoy your wine - Cheers!
ReplyDeleteHi, you are doing well with your weight loss....I tried Mounjaro but it is so expensive....no great results ...Wegovy is cheaper so might be more sustainable long term..Peta
ReplyDeleteSomehow I missed your previous post. Is it a blue tongue lizard?
ReplyDeleteMy brother used to buy plastic flowers and put them into my mother's garden at strategic points. I remember once staring at a bush and thinking, how can that bush produce that flower.
Wight loss, gym, further education, CFA involvement....I am feeling very guilty.