Wednesday, 5 November 2025

Garden bits

As promised some snaps from around the garden. I have to keep reminding myself that the garden is barely 12 months old and still has a lot of growing to do.

Pigface. A common colour is this glorious pink/red. It is a succulent and spreads easily.


This is a butterfly bush and is obviously very happy in its spot.



Strelitzia or bird of paradise. We planted these down the side of the house and it was touch and go if they were going to take but one has decided to flower so I have high hopes for the rest.

This is a kangaroo paw. More specifically it is an ornamental kangaroo paw with very distinct flowers and not too many leaves and quite dwarfish in its habit. We have three and they are also very happy.


Another variety of pigface - this is white with a delicate pink tinge.


I love this corner of the garden. The shrub at the back is a teddy-bear magnolia. It was the first plant we put in (a gift from the Mermaid) and it has already flowered and has lots of new leaves. Max is often to be found lying on a rock in the sunshine. 


This is a more traditional kangaroo paw. Lots of foliage and smaller flowers on very tall stems.


These are just some of the plants in the back garden. I still need to take you through the front. 

The kids came down and it was lovely to see them. I'll talk about that another day.

Himself is about to head off for his formal interview to join the CFA and I am going to have a bacon sanga for dinner. 



11 comments:

  1. I think your garden is looking fantastic. Just keep chopping back that pig face. It has a life of its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A formal interview to join the CFA! I didn't know it was so formalised. You have so many interesting plants in your garden and I have a good idea what it looks like, so it can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Pigface' is such an unhappy name for a lovely plant, though it sounds quite affectionate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look up pigface plant, we call it ice plant, we grow it as an annual and it's so pretty. I had to look up bacon sanga as well:)
    Your garden looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks lovely. I remember when it was all still a building site. You've done wonders!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the garden is looking quite good! I love the Kangaroo paw. The name "pigface" is pretty funny and rather coarse for such pretty plants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your choices of plants. The garden looks good now and will look even better as they mature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely have a green thumb! Everything looks to have taken root successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden looks so lovely...Peta

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just came up in my feed. Your garden is already looking lovely, and thanks for naming the plants.

    ReplyDelete