Saturday, 11 August 2007

Saturday

It's dark, drizzly and chilly. Himself is in his shed. One has gone out with some mates. Two and GGF are home after working at the uni's open day. Three and Tina are at the movies. There are a couple of chicken roasts and a butterflied leg of lamb waiting to go in the oven. I am sipping on a nice Riesling and nibbling on pistachios. All is good.

I walked early yesterday with One. Fireman Sam guilted him into getting up and coming out with me. After I took him to work I tidied the place up a bit and then went and had a lovely lunch with the Mermaid. We covered a lot of topics that only two women who have known each other for many years can. We decided that for all our thinking that it was our generation that epitomised the sexual revolution that came with the advent of effective birth control we are still very much a product of the mores and values instilled in us by our parents' generation. The men certainly benefited from greater sexual freedom but the women were still stuck with ideas of sex having to equate to love. Which it can and does, don't get me wrong. But as I get older I think that maybe a good bonk for the sake of a good bonk isn't such a bad thing. The current batch of youngsters seem to be getting this all in perspective but will there be a backlash later? Don't know but it will be interesting to see.

Fireman Sam was unable to make it around yesterday so I did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer (ET) and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. He won't be around next week either so this will be a good indication of how good I am at pacing myself. I'm hoping that by the end of the week I will be able to try running a lap of the park. It will depend on my leg.

This morning I did an hour on ET and it was a harder workout than the 90 minutes on the bike. Or I'm suffering from goldfish memory! One woke with an horrendous hangover so there went the plan of working out with him. He and I went to the butcher (see chicken and lamb above) and then to Chadstone where he bought some ibuprofen and water and a SALAD for godsake. Everyone knows the only food cure for a hangover is the Greasies. So after I went to Target and bought a couple of pairs of undies and a new pair of 3/4 length pants for running in I took him home via Dirty Bird (aka KFC) after which he fell asleep in front of the telly.

I went to Bunnings with Himself (see above re shed - he's still working on my bookcase and has been to Bunnings THREE times today!) and then to the supermarket for veges and stuff for tonight. Lordy fresh veges are expensive at the moment. After years of drought we have had flooding rains this winter that have badly effected the market gardeners that supply Melbourne. Hence broccoli selling for $8 a kilo recently. And yes, that matters. I love broccoli. And brussels sprouts. A favourite quick dinner is brussels sprouts and bacon.

Once home I changed and went for a walk down to the shops to buy the latest issue of Runner's World. Looks good. Anything that can keep this delusion going that I AM in fact a runner can only be good!

Tomorrow we are going to a luncheon to celebrate my inlaws' 60th wedding anniversary.

Himself is not going to Sydney until Wednesday and volunteered to come walking with me on Monday at 5.00am. We shall see!

I received an email from my father yesterday (actually addressed to Other Brother but cc'd to me and Dr. Teacher) informing that he had had a fall. Dr. Teacher (who, you may remember, only lives 5 minutes away from them whereas OB was visiting from Canberra) was unaware of this and went around on his way home from work. He rang to tell me that Dad is ok but very battered and bruised. Nothing broken but we are concerned as to why he had this fall ... his second in as many weeks. Dr. Teacher will try and find out what, if any, tests Dad has had lately and maybe suggest he gets a full physical. I can see this being met with great resistance which is understandable. Dad doesn't want to have to stop driving but this may have to be the case and I am not going to be the one to tell him. Hopefully Dr Teacher can convince them to see a doctor who will make that suggestion.

Getting old - I mean REALLY old - sucks. Big time.

I have had a really good look at the photos GGF took at Two's 21st and was appalled and disgusted at how grossly big I had become. I am tempted to get someone to take some photos of me now as a comparison but am afraid that I won't be able to see a big difference. Which reminds me. I forgot to tell you that when Two and I went to see the rheumatologist on Thursday he (the rheumatologist) asked if I had lost weight and when I responded in the affirmative nodded and said it was obvious. After he had chatted with Two and talked sarcoidosis and methotrexate and livers and stuff he turned back and asked me how I had lost weight. So it MUST be noticeable. I'll get the photos taken and if I like the difference I will post both here for your perusal.

Now I'm off to browse through my new magazine and have dinner with Two and GGF and Three and Tina (and Himself - he's allowed out of the shed to eat) and then watch good Brit. TV.

Stay well and safe.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see pictures if or when you are ready to post them.

    ReplyDelete