Sunday, 27 July 2008

silver linings



Himself had 'words' with a couple of people and the current position is that we SHOULD be finished by mid-September.  As I said before, it's not the completion date that annoys me, it's the fact that we were led to believe that it would be much earlier.

I have rejigged my annual leave and am now taking 4 weeks spread over a couple of months!  A week to move out of here, then back to work for 4 weeks, then another week to move into the new place (please God!) and then back to work for a fortnight (so my boss can take some of her annual leave) and then a final two weeks to enjoy the new place.  Another plus is that last week was my last full week.  I have a training day this week and an ADO the next.  When I come back I will work 4 day weeks until mid-september and then I will be working 7 days a fortnight.  Which is still more than I would really like but I'll see what happens come December and make a decision then.

Himself and I have been looking on line for somewhere to stay and he popped into a couple of real estate agents with little joy.  We went down to the golf club on Friday and stayed the night with friends down there.  Yesterday morning I rang the number of some serviced apartments close by the new place.  We were told we could have a studio apartment for $770 a week.  That is a lot but we realised we would have to pay for the convenience.  We went and had a look.  It was tiny.  And damp.  And dark.  And smelled of stale urine.  The woman told us she had a better apartment in another location that we could have for $1000+ a week.  We said we would think about it.

Himself had been given the name of someone who might have something and I rang her.  We met her at the property and were delighted.  It's right on the beach, 2 bedroom, fully furnished and light and airy (and smells of nothing!).  And is $800 a week.  I am thinking of this as a holiday.  Even though we will be working there will still be opportunities for walks on the beach and general relaxing.  And if we went away for a holiday we would have paid that and then some for accommodation.  And Three can (and probably will!) stay with us.  He will spend some time with One and Fireman Sam and some time with us.

Two is going into hospital tomorrow to have his jaw broken and reset.  Then he will come here for a couple of days.  He was over for dinner last night and is quite looking forward to it.  I hope we can keep his pain well controlled.

I need to go and do some more packing!  We are surrounded by boxes of stuff waiting to go to the storage facility but I still have quite a bit to pack up.  It's strange not having a house that is emptying as we are leaving all the furniture behind.  I must remember to check behind things to make sure I haven't dropped something and forgotten about it.  Could be embarrassing! 

Needless to say my coping strategies have been appalling.  With the inevitable results.  Now that things have settled down and the outlook is less bleak I have no excuses (other than addiction to an unhealthy lifestyle).  I do, however, need to remember to be gentle with myself.  And stop the all or nothing thoughts.  I have slipped back into the old way of thinking that I have to be perfect in all things or not bother at all.  So, surprise surprise, I end up not bothering.  Add a bit of 'don't deserve to feel/look good' into the mix and you end up with a very sorry state of affairs.  This will change.

And on that note I will go and pack something and then go for a walk.







3 comments:

  1. Seems like the building process never goes well for anyone. Blah!!

    Ours is getting sorted, it's (hopefully) just delays now. Costly delays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame you have to rent in the interim.... and pack yourself! I am so lucky that I don't have to do the packing, we have a huge amount of 'stuff'.... and our new home is relatively new too.... yaaaaa! Hope you can post some photos of your new home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Two. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete