This is the view from where we had lunch in the Clare Valley on Monday. The Clare Valley, as were most wine regions is SA, such a surprise. So much beautiful wine comes from these regions but they are so small. Good things from small packages, I guess.
This is from Granite Island off Victor Harbour. Amazing rock formations. It really is a lovely place but becoming a bit touristy/retirement focussed. Folks need to make a quid, I suppose.
These are some of the remaining 8 of the 12 apostles. This blew me away. We had driven from Warrnambool up the coast and saw the Bay of Martyrs, the Bay of Islands, Loch Ard Gorge and other stupendous natural phenomena. This coastline is breathtaking. I can't begin to describe it. You drive down the road, see a sign pointing you to a relatively small car park and (bearing in mind it's off season) are lucky to find maybe 3 or 4 other vehicles, if that. Walks varying from a few minutes to half an hour and you see the most amazing scenery.
We came across the car park for the 12 apostles and, at the risk of sounding anti tourism and racist, I was gobsmacked. The massive car park was full of coaches and mini buses and cars and the whole area was swarming with Asian tourists. Helicopters were taking off every few minutes (minimum of $95 per person). It was almost impossible to see the rock formations let alone take photos of them. It was late in the day and off season which obviously worked in our favour as did the fact that I chose to take photos from the less picturesque spots.
Don't get me wrong. We depend a lot on tourism but it amazed me that people drive from Melbourne to see this coastline and then drive back without exploring the more amazing sights further along.
Typical, I didn't take photos at the Bay of Martyrs or The Bay of Islands but this is The Grotto. A beautiful rock pool with the vision of the ocean beyond.
Himself is on his way to Sydney. I'm not coping terribly well. I know we've done this in the past but in the past I had kids living with me. Tonight I'm on my own and could well be for the rest of the week. Or, if I'm not, I'll have Three and his girlfriend. Love Three, not so much the girlfriend.
Time to call it a night.
The photos are lovely and I'm glad you enjoyed the trip. It's a shame when things become so touristy that they are no longer enjoyable.
ReplyDeleteI love time by myself. But then again, sometimes it's the quiet that bothers me the most. I turn on the telly and I'm alright again. Time by myself doesn't happen often though. Mostly Sunday mornings when I get the place to myself when MOTH is out mallratting. :)
Take the time to relax and recharge. Long scented baths, sleeping in, relaxing coffee outside first thing in the morning while listening to the birds. Tim tams any time of the day without having to share (or whatever your treat of choice is). A good meal with a glass of sweet wine and a good book in the evenings ... I love it.
Wow, so you had a holiday down my way! That's lovely countryside, up in the Care Valley. We live in Adelaide and I wouldn't swap it for quids.
ReplyDeleteWe did the Great Ocean Road last Christmas and it never ceases to amaze me. I have some lovely shots of the family around those areas. Something to remember.
By the way, I'm SOL's sibling (not that we advertise that - some things are best kept secret!) Haha.
I look forward to reading more of you.
x
Hope your week hasn't been too lonely. Great pictures!
ReplyDeleteoh last time I read your blog, himself was working in Sydney too. How long since he stopped this?
ReplyDelete