And at the risk of opening another can of worms let me talk about Bridgerton. For those who don't know (or care - and I fully understand that sentiment) it is an "historical" romance based on some book or other. I don't have a problem with this. I loved historical romances as a kid. Georgette Heyer and her ilk who actually researched their subjects.
The issue I have with Bridgerton is that I can see history being inadvertently rewritten. Yes, those of us with a brain cell or two and some knowledge of British history will realise this is just a story. But there is a generation who don't know about literary licence. Who believe what they see and don't think to question. I am waiting for someone studying this period in history (and it is a significant one) to describe Queen Charlotte as black and to argue that the landed gentry of the time included people of all ethnic backgrounds. How lovely it would have been if that were indeed the case, but it wasn't. I think my issue is using actual historical figures in fiction that is far from the truth. This is when lines get blurred.
Anyway, if that is all I have to get my knickers in a knot over I can count myself lucky!
The council saga is still ongoing as they are asking for more documentation. We think we have provided it but the next couple of days will tell.
It appears the house behind us is illegally discharging storm water which runs down onto our block. We are getting Agi pipes installed at the back of our property to mitigate this and the builder will put them along the cut line but it would be really helpful if this discharge outlet was removed. How to approach this? Veeeeerrrrrry carefully. The lady of said house is very prickly!
I went to coffee group this afternoon. There were two of us! I guess the miserable weather kept most away but I hope it doesn't fizzle out. They are a lovely bunch and my only source of social outlet at the moment.
I rang the doctors' this morning to make an appointment for Himself to have a follow up after the ultrasound on his shoulder last week and for me to get a new script for my anti-depressants. I got an appointment straight away and was very happy with the doctor I saw so I hope I can continue to see him.
When I arrived there was a young father holding his wee daughter on his lap. They were both asleep. I wish I could have taken a photo. It spoke volumes. Sick child and exhausted parent.
Today was wet and cold as I expected it to be after packing my winter gear away! I am not fazed as next Monday will be sunny with a top of 23*C.
And even when it's cold and wet it is still bloody magic!


Illegal drainage from the property uphill needs to be dealt with. Your drainage system might cope with in normal situations but perhaps not in flooding situations. With such heavy council monitoring, I can't understand how an illegal drain could be installed. Would you not approach council rather the than the homeowner?
ReplyDeleteI feel for the daddy with his sick child.
I think we will end up going to council. Not the best way to endear oneself with one's neighbours but hey ho.
DeleteWe are assuming the outlet is illegal but need to have clarification so another reason to approach council.
It never ends!
The father and child were sitting underneath a TV broadcasting a whole lot of stuff about the Voice which made it even more poignant.
That drainage situation sounds like one for someone else, the culprit, to fix. Maybe as Andrew says, the council should be approached. It might be she's getting away with it because she's difficult and nobody wants to get involved with her?
ReplyDeleteOur estate was originally grazing land so I assume nobody really cared when it was first installed.
DeleteYou don't have to wait! There's already public discussion about the ethnicity of Queen Charlotte.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/queen-charlotte-british-royal-history
I came across an article about her not long ago that described her as biracial and I was quite surprised, but apparently it is considered a possibility.
That being said, I was not a fan of Bridgerton. We abandoned it after one episode.
I have heard this and it would be fascinating to find a descendant and do some DNA testing. Whether she was or not, she certainly wasn't what she has been portrayed as in this series - which is so over the top it makes me cringe.
DeleteI agree. No way would there be any ethnicity except for Anglo Saxon in the royal family. Except for the staff of course. But you wouldn’t dare see them.
ReplyDeleteI love the sky in your photos. So moody. Just like I feel right now.
It is possible that she might have come from "the wrong side of the blanket" as they used to say but I think it is almost guaranteed she and her court, were not as they are shown in this nonsense. I don't know why I am watching it!
DeleteCan the builder mention the illegal drain to the local council who can then send a letter to the woman concerned? "it has come to our attention...etc" then she will have to do something about it.
ReplyDeleteI know nothing of Bridgerton.
It is not on our property so the builder will not get involved.
DeleteKeep blissfully ignorant of Bridgerton. Trust me.