Friday, 18 October 2024

In which I blitz you with pictures in no particular order.


A couple of weekends ago several chapters of a Chrysler car club had their annual gathering in Lakes. I am not a big fan of cars but I would have quite happily taken some of these home. It was a glorious day. I only took one photo but you get the idea. They had cars from the 30's to current models the latter of which didn't do much for me at all. They reminded me of the cars men drive if they have a need to compensate if you get my drift. The cars from the mid 50s were my absolute favourites.



I enrolled in a four week course on a different form of weaving. The photos below are of the final day. We made fish out of all sorts of things including raffia and leaves and cane and shells and I learned to make cordage out of plant fibres. Really interesting and thoroughly enjoying and I plan to continue with it at some point. 




The sessions were held at the newly repurposed slipway and these are the view from where we were sitting. You can see the old slipway in the first.






I'm not sure if you can get the sense of the cloud in this photo. It was almost like a flying saucer (that is our house in the bottom left).


Stepson's step daughter was married the same weekend of the car show above. All were invited except for us. We have done something to that family but have no idea what. Anyway, all the boys went up and Two and Three took their families. Amy flew up and back with the girls and Three drove up so they had a car with seats. He then drove back and stopped in with us for a couple of nights which was so special as we don't get him on his own very often. 


I took him to a local aboriginal museum with a cafe advertising they sell indigenous food. We were underwhelmed but the toasties were good and the surroundings were beautiful. We went for a walk through grounds.






We then went to Bullock Island to see the Entrance and encountered this handsome chap.






I am always amazed at how such a large, awkward looking bird can fly so gracefully (landing is another story!). Apparently their bones are incredibly light.




We went for a walk this morning. This farm owned the land our estate is built on. We can see it from our house.




And this is the ocean from the new road. Houses will eventually be built here but for now I enjoy the view.



Murphy. Such a needy dog but we love him.



You might remember I went up to Melbourne to collect Sally and bring her back. Alice modelled the dress her mum had bought for her to wear to the Qld wedding. It passed the twirl test.


                                                 

On the way home we stopped for breakfast. Sally wasn't impressed with the artisan raisin toast but she did enjoy her hot chocolate.

                                                      

And of course, Lakes isn't Lakes without doughnuts for breakfast.


And a play on the beach







When Three and Alice arrived we did the usual things including a walk across the bridge. Alice was sooking so to distract her I poionted out the water under the bridge through the metal mesh. Both girls found it fascinating - I decided not to tell them that fisherfolk clean and gut the fish there!
 



Today I went to the U3A AGM and have joined their committee. First step in becoming a true part of the community here. Someone had brought in bags of limes so of course I grabbed a few. 

Archie Rose Finger Lime gin and tonic with fresh lime ...





I was meant to finish this and post it last night but as I was working on it Himself got an email from the rental agent saying that the landlord had come down from Melbourne to check the house and said it smelt of animal and that considering we had already had the carpet cleaned and deodorised would we consider contributing to the cost of replacing it.

This resulted in phone calls with Three and Amy as they have a vast rental experience and were able to direct me to the right govt bodies which state that any carpet over 10 years old should be replaced at the owner's expense. The carpet in question has to be at least 20 years old, is faded, stained, frayed and the underlay is non-existant. I composed an email back for Himself to send stating this and saying, no, we will not be paying anything towards replacing the carpet. To be honest, it should have been replaced before we moved in as should the house have been painted. The owner has lied to the various property managers we had over the 12 months saying repairs had been done when they hadn't - and the relevant trades and businesses were able to back this up. Our next door neighbour also warned us that the owner was the sort of person who would try to get money out of us. As a result I have put in a claim to the body that holds bond money to get our bond back. It may take longer but it means that the owner can't just get the agent to withhold part of it without taking us to VCAT which will cost them money and could take years with the backlog of issues VCAT has to deal with. For the amount of money involved it won't be worth their hassle and I imagine VCAT would find in our favour anyway. It will mean the bond will be a bit longer coming back to us but it will come back in full.

Not the end of renting we hoped for - the agent even commented to Himself that the house was cleaner than when we moved in! Agent is lovely - landlord not so much.

So after that unwanted interlude this post was abandoned and I went and poured another gin.

19 comments:

  1. Oh what a cheek!! Some people will try anything. I remember you saying how much you had to clean when you moved in, perhaps the oven was so pitiful that you decided not to use it even? And your stepson is actually your husbands son? It is weird, but you’ve saved yourself money. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remember correctly, Marie. We never used the oven. Yes stepson is from Himself's first marriage.

      Delete
  2. You certainly are making the right moves to becoming a local. I must say (apart from the rental caper) you sound much brighter. Hips back and everything else sorted?
    And is your man now aware you have a blog where sometimes he is the featured article……

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am brighter, thanks Cathy. Hips and back are improving all the time.
      None of the family know about the blog. I think the boys are sort of aware but never ask. What could their boring mother have to write about?!

      Delete
  3. That doughnut is huge! I love the twirly purple dress on Alice. Hope the bond is returned soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our doughnuts are called big bears for a reason!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photo load. You have some beautiful grandchildren and great views. Im always happy to hear when someone knows their rights and answers back. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I tend to agree but am a tad biased!!
      I will fight this one as I think landlord is being unreasonable.

      Delete
  5. That twirly dress photo just sums up a granddaughter, I think. Sounds as if you have been very, very busy and I hope you're also very, very happy. It really is inspiring how you and your husband have made this move and are so glad that you did, despite the hard work and planning and waiting you've had to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twirl test is very important when you are three.
      We have been busy and we are very, very happy. The decision was made very quickly and we entered into a whirlwind of a year but it's nice to sit back and enjoy it all now.

      Delete
  6. Well, it sounds like you NEEDED another gin! That's terrible about the landlord. I don't understand these landlords who try to wring every cent out of their tenants -- even when it's undeserved.

    I love the heart-shaped sliced toastie. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected something from her but not the carpet. That's just a joke!

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos. It's always so nice to be left out of a wedding, or other celebration, when people can't be bothered, or don't have the guts, to tell you why. Bloody families.

    Your landlord sounds like an asshole. I had one like that once. Apparently they just routinely withheld everyone's damage deposit and most people just walked away. I took them to small claims court and got all my money back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can't withhold our deposit as I have claimed it. I doubt many tenants know they can do that and walk away from a lease with less money than they should.
      I would love to know why SS has dropped us but I figure it's their loss.

      Delete
  8. It's nice to hear about what you've been up to. It struck me The Lakes would be a nice place to bring up children. I can imagine Paul Hogan looking at a Krispy Cream and saying, That's not a doughnut, this (the Lakes doughnut) is a doughnut.
    I didn't know you could bypass the agent to have your bond returned. I'm glad you had a rental advisor in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think many people are aware but Amy is very bull headed and will do her research if she feels she is being ripped off and we are certainly benefiting from her tenacity here.
      Big Bears doughnuts are amazing and people drive from Melbourne for them. When they had a pop up at Vic market there were queues around the corner.

      Delete
  9. I’m sorry you weren’t invited. Some people just get it in their heads to not like you and that’s just fine.
    As for the landlord. Oh my he sounds delightful. You have the backing of the agent so I’m sure he’ll back down. Hopefully you will get the bond back sooner rather than later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have heard the end of it but we shall see.
      As for the wedding, I missed being with my kids more than the wedding as we rarely get the opportunity to all be together these days.

      Delete
  10. Bloody hell that's a lot of photos! Lovely though.

    ReplyDelete