The Entrance is not far from Two et al and we go there a bit when I am up there. It is quite similar to Lakes Entrance which, of course, is where I live. Indeed, looking up info on one often results in info from the other. Both have lakes, both have a pretty cool water park for kids, both have fisherfolk galore and tourists aplenty.
And both have pelicans.
And glorious scenery.
Only one, though, has the cutest grandson. And sadly, it's not Lakes Entrance.
And only one has a king sized bed with a fancy mattress that appears to have been purchased for the sole comfort of two german shepherds who will allow humans to sleep in it at night if they agree to share. No prizes for guessing where this is!
As we hurtle towards the end of the year my days are filled with U3A business, catching up with friends and trying not to panic which is crazy as we do literally NOTHING over Christmas but I do need to arrange with the daughters-in-law how to get gifts sorted for the grandkids. I am guessing money will be thrown in their general direction.
This has been complicated a tad by me rolling through a stop sign last Friday (I didn't come to a complete stop as required by law) and copping a $400 dollar fine and 3 demerit points. And before you ask, no it wasn't dangerous as there were no cars coming and I was almost stopped and I drive through this intersection every day as do many others the same way ... slow down to almost stopped, look and proceed. A highway patrol dude had driven past and must have seen me in his rear vision mirror (the downside of having a bright, fluro green/yellow car) and waited to see if I stopped. He pulled me over, did the necessary stuff (like a breath test and asking if I had a reason for not stopping!) and supposedly issued me with an electronic infringement notice which should have appeared on my phone within the hour.
Nothing came through.
I have 28 days to pay and am rather anxious as I don't want to cop further fines for non payment. A neighbour is in the police force and Himself asked him what I should do. Nice police neighbour gave advice and also said that the intersection in question is known as a good spot to catch folk and fine them. We have spoken to the police station in Bairnsdale (not where traffic dude is stationed where one can talk to someone) and they took my details and are "following it up". There is a thought that traffic cop decided to be kind but if that was the case he could have said he was letting me off with a warning. I think he took my phone number down incorrectly (he didn't read it back to me) and some poor bugger is wondering why they have received an infringement notice for a car they don't own in a town they have never heard of!
So until I know if I have to pay the revenue raising behemoth that is the Victorian government (which is basically broke) I am holding off sending money to the grandkids in case I can send a bit more. I will give it another couple of days and then make my decision. Hopefully I will be able to plead poor pensioner and ask for a payment plan if/when the fine eventually hits my inbox.
I wonder how many people go to the cops asking for their infringement notices to be sent to them!




So few people stop at stop signs now, so I am surprised to learn that it is still enforced. Of course I do stop at stop signs, perhaps annoying the car behind me, but my blemish free driving record stands.
ReplyDeleteI think on appeal, because of my driving record, I would not receive a fine on appeal. I think I heard that if you haven't offended in the last three years, you may be forgiven. Write a note to Fines Victoria? and plead guilty of your accidental mistake and plead because of your good driving record, perhaps you may be pardoned.
I don't think the State of Victoria is broke. It is arguably the wealthiest state in Australia, with a huge income and resources. In my life time the public debt has risen and declined, yet Victoria goes on, and does rather well. I am too old to be bothered about public debt. Australia has never defaulted on debt. I am also too old to take any notice of the Murdoch media, beyond its excellent car crash coverage, and of very tall black people who will steal our car keys and rob us. Ok, a bit more than that, especially if you've been a victim.
This reminds me of a sketch on “ fat pizza “
ReplyDeleteWhere the main character is caught just like you. He complained that it was the same thing so the police man started hitting him. Saying do you want me to slow down or come to a complete stop
It was funny, but, since then. I always think of it and stop at all stop signs
I hope you sort it all out and he did decide to let you off with a warning
Now you know that spot is an income producer for the ptb. We have some of those, too. You get to know them and elaborately follow the rules!
ReplyDeleteHere in my little village, the place for cops to make the easy citations is right next door. They hide in the church parking lot and nab the folks who somehow manage to get up to crazy speeds after coming to a full stop not a block away. I will admit that this does not bother me. There are old people with pets who live here. Slow down!
ReplyDeleteBut yes, I understand your slow roll through the stop sign. I did that myself just a few days ago and realized that I really should have come to a full stop.
What Angela said about the police hit you, do you want me to slow down or stop, pretty funny.
ReplyDeleteHopefully you end up with just a warning.
Every time I come to a stop sign now I think of you:)
DeleteI agree wth Andrew about the letter I have written a couple of letters over the years but not for myself, others,, however, I also believe that not stopping at a stop sign isn’t in the category of being let off. Marie, Cheltenham
ReplyDeleteOh boy, what a bother. And what an expensive bother!
ReplyDeleteMy mother in law turned into a main road and hit another car….her excuse was that the other car was driving took fast…she is 88 and shouldn’t be driving, her Dr signs her off as a fit to drive which is wrong because she isn’t. She received a fine and had to have her car repaired and paid for the other one as well but she still insists that it wasn’t her fault!
ReplyDeleteHave the cops caught up with you yet? Penguin.
ReplyDeleteAh, now I see the fine story. It's crazy that they fine you so much for such a minor offense. Seems like a revenue grab to me (local police trying to make some money). But I don't blame you for following it up -- you wouldn't want the situation to get any worse.
ReplyDelete