Saturday, 15 November 2025

I is away

Where do the days go?

I have great plans to post frequently but we all know how that is working out!

In my defence I have several draft posts with pics awaiting wise words but then stuff happens and I get sidetracked.

Anyway.

Remember how I told you I visited the Central Coast in early October to see Two et al? (To be fair, I doubt if you do and I don't blame you.)

The reason for that visit was to take middle grandchild shopping for her birthday, so in the interest of being fair I am up to spend this weekend with the remaining birthday girl and boy (out of all the days in the year how do the fates align to have two out of three kids born on the same day five years apart?) 

I love the drive. It takes me through some beautiful countryside. I was not long out of Lakes when a kangaroo hopped across the road in front of me. I have lived in Australia for well over 50 years but I still get a thrill when I see a native animal in the wild.

The mist rising as I climb into the mountains always makes me happy ...




I stopped for a lunch break on the road out of Canberra overlooking Lake George. If you embiggen the picture you can see part of the massive windfarm.



When I got to the motel I was delighted to find they had given me the same room I had last time. The girls call it "Granny's apartment". I shall request it every time I book! It is pretty basic but suits me just fine is right around the corner from their house.



The view from the door. The layout gives a lovely through breeze and it is sort of tucked away from other guests.


It has been lovely seeing the fambly.


 

17 comments:

  1. Nice to see you back. That motel room is like the one I used to book when I went down to Cape May. I used to ask for third floor front -- balcony with perfect sea view. Cheap too.
    That's funny about the birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is a certain type of motel room that is the same all around the world!

      Delete
  2. We find there are clusters of family birthdays and about 3 or 4 share the same day. Families stick together in so many ways.
    You took some lovely photos. I really like the misty mountains.
    Enjoy your time away and that great motel room

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle grandchild is, naturally, envious that her siblings are getting presents even though she had her birthday two months ago. I can see some issues over the next few years until they grow up.

      Delete
  3. Despite my many, many years in Florida and the many, many times I've seen dolphins, I still get an almost mystical thrill when I see them. "Hello, fellow sentient mammal!"
    You know, I'm not sure I've ever seen a kangaroo at all. Neither in captivity or certainly not in the wild.
    That motel room looks like a beautiful answer to a simple dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kangaroos are amazing creatures. I did a quick google and it appears there are roos in a zoo in Melbourne. Is that far from you?

      Delete
  4. I love "granny's apartment"! It's great when you can book a familiar place over and over again -- it really is like owning a piece of it.

    I agree there is a magic about seeing animals in the wild, especially large ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream is to see a wombat in the wild. Sadly, I have seen many dead ones on the side of the road but I guess I am not driving early or late enough to catch one.

      Delete
    2. Rather strangely, I have seen 'wild' wombats in Sussex in England - there was a colony on some parkland near where I lived there some 50 years ago.

      Delete
  5. How cute you got the same room!! It's all yours now! Grandchildren are the greatest and it is so wonderful you can enjoy time with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mine to the point that middle grandchild is asking to stay the night!

      Delete
  6. Cute room and lovely photos. I'm glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's had its challenges as you would understand.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos and I'm pleased you had such a good time. Did you make some sandwiches and take a Thermos with you for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did indeed make a sandwich but the coffee had been consumed early in the drive.

      Delete
  8. Hi, your trip looks and sounds good..if you are coming past Canberra we should catch up...Peta

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing native kangaroos when I was over in August, they were just across the road from the BnB I was at.

    ReplyDelete