Thursday, 26 July 2012

touching base

One of the reasons I like keeping a blog is that I can look back and see what happened, how I felt, was life as good/bad as I remember etc.

This is one such entry.

On Tuesday I went up to the parents' unit to meet a real estate agent with the view of finally putting it on the market.

I met with said agent and graciously accepted all her praise at how well we've presented it but wasn't impressed with her quote.

So I've listed it with the village sales dept and we shall see.

It was a bitter sweet time as I am so pleased we are close to the end but Mum and Dad did have some happy times there and the garden looks great as does the unit.  I picked some camellias to bring home.

On the way home I popped into the supermarket and Mum rang asking me for some bits and pieces which I duly bought and dropped them round when I took the dogs to the park.

I walked into their room and was greeted with a barrage of complaints.  We had put her there to die.  The place was a lunatic asylum.  People kept coming to get her to practice for an upcoming event (which she asked to join) but how could she sing happy songs when she's so depressed.  She used to do so much in the village and so on and so forth.

I answered all her issues reasonably and gently (she said she had only had 3 falls!!!!) but eventually thought "stuff it".  And I told her ... "you spent the last 9 months sitting in your dressing gown. You only got dressed when you had a medical appointment.  You started on the sherry at 9.00 and continued until you finished with the scotch when you went to bed.  You weren't eating because I was buying the food and didn't need to at the end.  When we cleaned out the unit we threw away a whole fridge and freezer full of Choice (home delivered) meals.  You were existing on half a tiramisu and a shit load of alcohol and kept having falls and THAT is why you are here.  For your own safety."

I then asked her if she would like me to come with her to the performance that she refused to practice for and was told she would just sit and knit!

Came home feeling OK but sad.  Himself rang and I told him what had happened.  He said that he wished he could be here to give me a hug and then went on to say how much he hates being in Sydney.  Just what I needed to hear!!

Mum rang shortly after to apologise and we had a good chat.  I understand her frustration but it's often misdirected as in the cause isn't not necessarily what she complains about.

Today I popped in to see them and she said that noone had come to get her for the filming of the performance.  I said I wasn't surprised as she'd made it plain she didn't want to participate.  The reason today?  It made her cough and if she coughs she might burst a blood vessel and that would be embarrassing.

At least she was brighter today.

Himself still hates working in Sydney, though.

And the last thing to document is that clothes are getting smaller.

Or not.





2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, as much as it hurts you have to tell it like it is. The hardest part is trying to not let the remorse drag you down afterward.

    Ah well, if Sydney is that bad it will just make Himself all the more pleased to see you when he gets back, right? :)

    Yes, I think the clothes fairies are busy in my wardrobe too. Little buggers, sewing my seams when I'm not looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this post really amusing! I can almost see your mother sitting there swigging away on the grog... and now sitting knitting, feeling like stabbing everyone with her knitting needles! or not. hee hee.

    ReplyDelete