Saturday, 15 November 2014

And life slowly moves along

cat and mouse!!




So.  Himself is now officially an aged pensioner.  It was worth it to pay the much reduced chemist bill at our most recent visit.

I, on the other hand, have had to join the ranks of the unemployed.  I have registered for Newstart  (ie The Dole) and am required to meet certain requirements.  These include actively looking for work and keeping a diary of said efforts.  And going along to Centrelink on a regular basis to prove I am doing this.  I wonder how so many people manage to live on unemployment benefits for so long.  I realise there are genuine job seekers out there but there are also a lot of so called bludgers.

I have been registered with a job search agency but will get no help from them for another 13 weeks as I am classified as job ready and self reliant.  Riiiiiiiight.  I had my initial interview with them yesterday.  My job consultant is some bloke called Chris who was unavailable even though I'd been given an appointment with him.  Call me suspicious but it was interesting that just before my appointment time a woman, who was obviously well known to all the staff, dropped in and everyone sort of disappeared.  I  was interviewed by a charming woman who was very sympathetic (I still get a bit upset when relating the events of the past 4 years with parents and work and stuff) but was obviously reading from a script.  I know this cos said script was there in front of me and she told me I was the second interview she had conducted as she was very new.  I found it a bit disconcerting when she looked at me, dropped her voice and asked "any abuse? addictions? pending prison sentences?" as per the list of dot points in front of her.  Even I did have any of those issues I don't think I would be divulging them then and there after that sort of questioning!  A bit more supervision, methinks.

Anyway.  I shall keep the diary, apply for jobs and see what happens.  Unfortunately, Himself is adamant that I do this.  I don't think he realise quite how horrible the whole exercise is.

We shall see how things go.  I guess if it all gets too much, I shall have to go and see someone and get a medical certificate.  Anxiety is a nasty, nasty thing.

The Mermaid came for lunch today.  It was lovely catching up with her and all the news.  We have known each other since waaaaay before kids and they are all adults and settled down now.  *sigh* where does the time go.

Hmmm.  This is getting a bit maudlin so will go and see about something for dinner.

Maybe if I got my health and fitness back under control life would look less bleak.  Cos it really is a case of "what't the point of getting out of bed" at the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Oh that Centrelink merrygoround is dreadful! I was on it earlier this year before they began to pay me Carer Payment. It really is soul destroying. I also didn't really find my job networking wotsit really helpful either but I didn't have an experience quite like that one!

    I gave up my job because of depression and that made job searching difficult enough, I can only try to imagine how it goes with anxiety. Hugs to you and hang in there, I'm sure 2015 will be better, right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. Thought I'd stop by for a visit too :)

    Yeah, sooooo fortunate we don't have to do the whole Centrelink circus. We almost did earlier this year, but managed to dodge that bullet by the skin of our teeth.

    Good luck on the search front, though. Tough times out there but here's hoping good fortune will prevail and something comes your way in the very near future.


    xxx

    ReplyDelete