Friday, 27 November 2020

I've lost my crojo.

 One of the things I have learned to do over the past 2 years is crochet.

When we lived in Bonbeach I used to go to a craft afternoon at the local community centre where I cross-stitched, knitted, learned how to make stuffed animals (made 2, a cat and a polar bear, that's enough) and tried so hard to learn to crochet but decided in the end I was never going to be a hooker.

Fast forward to the end of 2018. I had stopped work and was still knitting and cross stitching. I joined a local craft group on facebook and half-heartedly read the posts. By February 2019 I was desperately lonely - I had hobbies but none of them involved socialising and I realised how hard it is to move into a new area at this stage of life. Himself encouraged me to go to one of the get togethers of the craft group in a local cafe and with my anxiety through the roof, I did. What a lovely bunch of women. I said I would never be able to crochet but they assured me I could. One of them lent me a hook and I was directed to a couple of you-tube channels and that was it. I was hooked.


This was the first thing I ever made. It sits on MILs bed.



I made beanies for the grandkids.



 I made ponchos for them as well.





Even after carpel tunnel surgery I kept at it




I learned amigurumi




I learned to make bags




I learned to read patterns and made blankets. Lots of blankets






I made shawls




I made a poncho for myself and cowls, berets and a couple of jumpers. 



I learned filet work and made a baby blanket for our niece.



Crocheting helped keep me sane during the first lockdown. Halfway through second lockdown I lost my crojo. I have 4 projects on the go and yarn and patterns for another 7 projects as well as sundry yarn that will make a nice shawl or blanket or something. AND I have become a yarn snob so none of this yarn is particularly inexpensive. I can't work with acrylic (hurts my fingers) and prefer pure cotton or merino blends. A friend gave me a pattern for my birthday which is another skill to learn and I bought the yarn for it but just can't. get. going.

Once I have finished the paintings for the grandkids for Christmas and things settle down I shall take some time to just sit quietly and crochet again.

I miss it.


1 comment:

  1. LOL... Bex is a yarn snob too! The more expensive it is, the more she wants it. She makes similar stuff to you, but HEAPS of soft toys mostly. They sell really well at markets. I hope you find your Crojo again!

    ReplyDelete