I can't believe it's the last day of November and the last day of Spring.
It seems forever ago that the country was dealing with horrendous bush fires and I was getting ready for my knee replacement but it was only 12 months ago. So much has happened this year and yet so little got done because we spent so much time in lockdown. I feel so sorry for the northern hemisphere as it heads into winter and more and more cases of Covid. Hopefully we won't get another wave before a vaccine is available.
As I have said before (many many times and will no doubt again) this is not a good time of year for me. I stress over Christmas; about what to buy, how much to spend, keeping everyone happy, who to see, who not to see. I really don't like it. I am not religious (I'm a very happy atheist) but do have happy memories of Christmas and church as a kid (Christmas and Easter were the only time we went to church!) and back in those days Christmas was when you got the big things like bikes. Nowadays kids seem to get whatever they want whenever they want and everything is so much cheaper by comparison. I am looking forward to seeing the wee girls open pressies but really cannot understand the adult hype over this time of year. Apart from the retailers. And the supermarkets. I hope they have a good season as they have struggled this year. Just call me Grinch.
I took Jinx to the local off lead park this morning. It's only just been fenced off and people are still discovering it. There is a large table and benches that have been there forever and they are on a base of sand. It is obvious that several dogs (including mine) have had a wonderful time digging in this sand and there is a bit of a hole. It's not dangerous as it's under the table and I dare say that in time council will pave the area or remove the table. This morning she was having a sniff and a dig and, thank god, I was right there and noticed some broken glass. Closer examination showed that some arsehole had deliberately broken a beer bottle (the neck was on the table) and buried shards of glass in the sandy hole. I cleared as much as I could but it was hard on my own with a dog who wanted to help! Hopefully someone else can get rid of the rest.
And on that note I shall leave you with my favourite photo of Three and wee Sally the day after she was born. I can't believe she's 4 now.
My vow this Christmas is to NOT go overboard, NOT stress about it, NOT overspend, NOT give a shit who I see or don't see and just chill out!
ReplyDeleteLife is too damn short to be bothered by shit that half the time you really don't need to worry about.
Losing Mum and all the other shit going on in the family this year has taught me heaps. CHILL OUT. Enjoy life. Stop worrying about things you can't change. Find happiness in the little things. Slow down and enjoy NOW. And I've probably repeated myself ... distracted by grandkids jumping on me couch, the little shits.
I saw your comment on Chris' blog that you were blogging again so here I am! I feel exactly the same as you about Christmas... I actually love the family stuff and the time after but the stress of presents and all that busy shopping etc does my head in! I'm not religious either so for me it's a family time only. I certainly don't go overboard that's for sure!! I am a little bit 'the grinch that nearly steals Christmas'.
ReplyDelete