Saturday, 26 August 2023

Getting a little closer.

I didn't write anything yesterday because it was just another day in paradise. Beautiful sunny skies, long walk, chatting with new neighbours, a donut for a very late breakfast, good coffee, pizza for dinner ... you get the drift!

This, though, has made my blood boil. If you can't follow the link google "Tyler Sullivan, baby faced rapist". In short he, when he was 20, groomed an 11 year old girl on line, travelled across Melbourne and raped her in her own bedroom when she had not long turned 12. The judge gave him a joke of a sentence because he was concerned that his baby face would set him up as a target in an adult prison. Oh, and he pulled every mental health card he could. And before anyone asks why the child was on line, the mother thought she was communicating on a safe site with friends. These bastards can sneak in anywhere.

On a brighter note, we went to see our original sales consultant today as a result of a series of questions Himself had asked our pre-site manager. She (the PSM) basically co-ordinates everything as the contracts get drawn up but Himself's questions were getting a bit confusing so she handballed us back to the sales guy who has an engineering background and was able to explain everything. People need to realise that just because they understand their industry jargon and policies the majority of us don't speak the same language!

There was only one thing that was an actual variance - we found out that the gas supplier to our area is charging new customers nigh on $3,000 to connect the gas that is already on the estate to the building so we said "no thankyou" to the gas hot water and will go all electric. 

We also found out that for some reason best known to the council or the estate developer or whoever our boundary doesn't actually start at the footpath but quite a few centimetres (up to a metre - it's on an angle) which means that isn't our land and any driveway would need council approval. Looking at other houses in the street we realise this seems to be the case as their driveways start from quite a way up from the footpath. The crossover extends to the beginning of the driveway which isn't going to work for us as we wanted other than plain grey concrete. Himself will go to the council offices on Monday and see if he can get approval to do the exposed aggregate on "their" land and if we can't we will just go plain grey for the whole driveway. It seems that whoever built the footpath didn't take into account the boundary pegs and made it further away. We are the last house to have this as the rest of them all have boundary pegs on the footpath boundary.

Confused, yet? Hopefully the contract signing is only a couple of weeks away and the council permit will be forthcoming as well.

It has turned chilly and damp today. Time to pour a scotch and warm up.

16 comments:

  1. Sincerely hope that the boundary issue is speedily resolved - they can sometimes take on a life of their own and cause problems down the line. Where I live we have a potential right of way issue that dates back many decades - the deeds refer to rights to drive a waggon and horses acros a corridor of the land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would almost be easier than a smidge of land created because someone put the footpath in the wrong spot! I guess you could have a few people putting their hands up for the right of way.

      Delete
  2. Gaol is not meant to be a pleasant place, whether you are a pretty boy or not.

    Yeah, our Guv doesn't want new gas connections. You'll be better with electric anyway.

    Yes, I am confused about the driveway but it is 10.30 on a Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am confused regardless of the time of day or quantity of scotch consumed.

      Delete
  3. That poor girl and that judge needs a good shaking. He's worried the rapist will be raped. The irony. This makes my blood boil as well.

    I'm so tired of the misogyny that exists in the world.

    And all these little fiddley problems with the build, is why I wouldn't want to build a house. I'm not the patient:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This latest one could be a challenge but it gives Himself something to do!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like permitting there goes much like permitting here.
    As to that rapist- there are no words as to how I feel about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think councils employ a certain type of power hungry person.

      Delete
  5. That rapist case is appalling. Using an offender's appearance as a rationale for a light sentence? Insane! Ripe for being overturned by an appeals court it seems to me.

    I don't quite understand the surveying/permitting issue but hopefully you'll get it sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other infuriating things about the rape case was the judge supressed the rapist's identity. I do hope someone appeals.

      Delete
  6. I was thinking this is appeal bait. Also judge censure and recall bait. I don't understand anything about the boundary issue except that it's worth getting everything sorted, to avoid sudden issues later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to have everything sorted before the first shovel touches dirt.
      Our judiciary has some idiots, I am afraid.

      Delete
  7. Dealing with councils is painful. Very painful. I leave all that to hubby.
    I get too hot headed and then the yelling starts. They seriously do my head in.
    We have blue sky peaking out so I’ve taken the chance and put the sheets in the washing machine. Fingerscrossed they dry before any rain sets in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, will be leaving this to hubby. I just hope it doesn't hold us up any longer than it should.

      Delete
  8. Someone wasn't very careful with that footpath boundary! And shame on that judge, put the man in jail is my opinion. I'd pay the extra for the gas simply because I prefer gas for cooking and I like instantaneous gas hot water heaters, they heat the water as you use it so there is no big storage tank being kept hot all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having induction cooking as we fell in love with it in our last house after decades of being committed gas users. Induction has the same instantaneous results gas does and is easy to clean. We have electric hot water here in the rental and it's ok. I guess the issue is the possibility of brown/black outs but nothing we can do about that and our esteemed government is trying to do away with gas.

      Delete