Last night was interesting! We joined the club - $10 each per year, half of which goes to the sporting club of your choice; we chose the surf life saving club and you get discounted prices on food and drink so if you go there often enough you will certainly get your membership back.
I had the roast of the day which was pork and it was lovely. Huge serving with veges, gravy and crispy crackling. Himself had duck hoisin noodles. Again a large serving.
Now, I am used to going to Chinese restaurants and sharing dishes with everyone else at the table and eating out of bowls. I was interested to see what the serving preference was like here. The table next to us ordered two sizzling platters (the food was brought to the table in a bowl with the sizzling platter and then put on the platter before placing on the table. Not seen that before). The rice was served in a mound on a plate - think unmoulded from a bowl. One of the diners fetched 3 plates from somewhere and 3 shared the two platters and the mound of fried rice. Another member of the same group had lemon chicken but ate hers from her own plate and didn't share and the final member had good old fish and chips! The food looked good but I think we will get it to take away so we can share it out and eat out of bowls. I felt I had gone back 50 years when Chinese restaurants were new and people were used to the western way of eating out, ie each orders their own meal and consumes only that meal.
After dinner we threw some money at the pokies and came away a little bit poorer but had a great time.
We will go back.
I stayed up way too late reading posts in a variety of facebook groups I have joined relating to our builder. Not many were positive but that's not what facebook is about, is it? Once I read between the lines (and stopped yelling at the screen that they should have read their bloody contract) the issues were not unique to our builder.
As a result I slept in this morning. Really slept in. I just couldn't see the point of getting up, to be honest.
We took the dogs to the block for a really good run then for a walk along the waterfront with a coffee in the middle. Back home and I spent a good amount of time looking for a more comfortable collar to stop Jinx glooping (as we call her constant licking). I have ordered something similar to this
which will be more comfortable for her and let her drink. The current cone is too hard and she can't get her head near her water bowl. If this works then I am happy to have her in it as often as necessary.
Tomorrow we shall go to the block, walk the dogs and then, who knows. Himself wants to rig up a better restraining system for the dogs in the back of his car which will require a visit to a hardware shop. I might look at buying some pots and potting mix to get ready to plant veges when it warms up a bit more. Maybe a trip to Bairnsdale so we can go to Bunnings.
$10 each per year is very reasonable!
ReplyDeleteTechnically $5 with a $5 donation. So even better!
DeleteWhen I was poorer, I tended to order my own food and not share but I am quite happy to do that now. The next day R will write down a figure and at some point I will pay my share.
ReplyDeleteI would be excited by a trip to the Big Green Shed. Some of us know how to live.
I love the communal feel of sharing a meal like the Chinese (and Indian) cultures do. If everyone has a bit of everything then it's easy to just split the bill. But I do understand the need to keep track of spending.
DeleteI am hungry after reading your restaurant report!
ReplyDeleteI will continue to deliver reports just for you, Mary. I will tell Himself we need to eat there as my reviews are required.
DeleteI must admit, I am old-fashioned when it comes to restaurants. I like to have my own meal!
ReplyDeleteOlga has a no-chew collar that's like an inflatable donut, but with no extra barrier around the head. It kept her from nibbling her sutures when she had her leg surgery years ago, and she could access the water and food bowls just fine. If Jinx's new collar doesn't work maybe one like that would be the answer?
I think this one has the donut effect with the added bit of plastic. I looked at the donuts so will certainly get one if this looks like being a long term thing.
DeleteI think you will enjoy going to the club, sounds like a very good deal and plenty of yummy food.
ReplyDeleteI love the collar. When Trixie was little and had to wear one after her desexing op I found the collar was just too heavy for her little head. So I ordered a padded one that looks like flower petals. She looked adorable and was able to move her head around. I’m thinking it’s a tad small for jinx lol
"When Trixie was little"!! She's not exactly big, now! I think Jinx would NOT be happy looking like a flower.
Delete