I wrote a big whinge about living with a deaf/hard of hearing person yesterday and then deleted it.
I will say, though, that it is becoming more isolating as I know that I will have to repeat what I say so often don't bother saying anything and casual conversation is becoming less and less frequent. He won't wear his hearing aids and I think his standard response to me saying anything is "sorry what?" even before he has processed what I have actually said.
Does anyone else living with a deaf partner find these things happening?
We have started taking the dogs up to the block for a good run before we walk them. The idea is to make them less pully on the leads. The jury is out on how successful this actually is! Yesterday we met Joanne who's build has already started. She is a lovely woman who is also renting in Lakes. Her process has been going on for two years so we really can't complain about 6 months. She is also a mine of information and has given us some great tips.
Last night around 9.00pm Himself got an email from the council regarding our permit application and this morning he woke to another one from another person in the same council requesting more information. Information that we are pretty certain they already have. Of course, this person only works Mon, Wed and Fri so he will wait until tomorrow to endeavour to speak with him/her (the name doesn't give us a clue to gender). On the plus side, though, things are happening!!
** ** ** ** ** ** **
Well, our council person must be working from home because they responded to Himself's email saying he thought he had submitted the report they were looking for and we have been moved to the next person in the line of box tickers.
It was a glorious sunny day and we took the dogs up to the block for their run. Himself got to talking to the chap doing Jo's slab and he said he will be doing ours as well. He also gave Himself some tips on the crossover which we have to arrange ourselves. This is a crossover for those who use another terminology:
It connects the road with the driveway.
After we had been to the block we went to the foreshore and walked across the bridge to see the installation I talked about the other day. The five poles representing the five clans of the Gunaikurnai tribe are up and they were doing the planting. We got to chatting to one of the blokes who turned out to be the artist who designed the pelican, canoe and duck chair and is involved in the whole project. I said I would like to learn more and he gave me a booklet which contains so much information about the five clans and the meaning Country has for the people. It is the plan they have to adhere to as they go about implementing all the works they are doing.
If you go to glawac.com.au you can find out a lot more. The link to the booklet came from that site and the bloke on the cover of the booklet doing the smoking ceremony is Alfie Hudson, the chap we met today. The Bush Cafe is just up the road from us and I can't wait to take Three there when he comes down to collect Sally after her holiday with us in September I might see if I can persuade Himself to check it out sooner!
After a glorious sunny morning it is now bucketing down and we have had thunderbolts and lightning (very, very frightening, me).
And because I now have that stuck in my head I shall share the magic with you!
Hey there, I am very hard of hearing in my right ear. It drives me mad, as well as everyone else who has to repeat themselves continually. My husband is the most patient person ever, (if boot was on other foot I know I would not be as patient). I had a hearing aid however it didn’t work, the background noise that I could hear, counteracted the person I was talking to so I was back to square one. I am going to have another crack, a friend of mine recently got two from Costco for around $2000, and she said they’ve changed her life. I feel for everyone like yourself who has to put up with this problem. Marie, Cheltenham
ReplyDeleteDefinitely go to Costco. Himself got his from there but it was just as Covid hit so he didn't get to do the follow ups. He got them adjusted through specsavers recently and they work really well. I don't have a problem with the hearing aids. I have a problem with a vain bastard who won't wear them!!!!
DeleteMe with my work place insurance provided hearing aids and Ex Sis in Law's with his government supplied hearing aids are doing just fine.
ReplyDeleteMy partner has become hard of hearing and often I have to repeat to him what someone has said. Of course the blame is that them and I are not speaking clearly and are mumbling. It is strange that he jumps in after a couple of words and says I can't hear you, when if he listened to the rest of what I am saying, it would not matter. He would get it.
I can't tell him to get a hearing test but hopefully he will realise soon and take mattes into his own hands.
And sorry for commenting on the rest of this post.
DeleteYou have described my situation perfectly with the jumping in before actually listening. And don't get me started on being accused of mumbling or talking to the wall!
DeletePartners eh? Who'd have 'em?
My father used to do that -- jump in with hey? What? before I'd started talking. It's an annoying habit. I don't think his hearing was bad, just his willingness to listen.
ReplyDeleteThere is certainly an element of learned behaviour.
DeleteThis seems to be a universal problem- the hearing issue. We go through this daily.
ReplyDeleteI am glad I am not the only one but it is so frustrating and isolating.
DeleteI started telephoning my husband when he is in another room so we both can hear each other. The beauty of cell phones. Both of us are slightly deaf.
ReplyDeleteI should try that. Except usually he forgets where his phone is and I answer it!
DeleteI think we have had the hearing aide conversation in person once.
ReplyDeleteHubby says it doesn’t help in crowded areas. But he won’t even wear them at home!
Yes it’s frustrating, but I imagine it’s more frustrating for them. So what or why won’t they wear them
We got a little bit of rain yesterday, no where near enough though. It’s been a dry winter. I’m dreading the summer
I understand the problem of crowded places and walking in the wind but I get really frustrated when he won't wear them at home.
DeleteSummer will be a challenge for a lot of people I fear.
My husband isn't hard of hearing, but he wears his ear pods to listen to things all the time...and when I start to talk to him he gets an agitated look on his face, saying "I can't hear you" he drives me mad...hopefully neither one of us will go deaf as I can imagine it would not be fun...Peta
ReplyDeleteThose ear pods are annoying. You think someone is talking to you and they are on the phone.
Delete