So yesterday morning Amy took Sally to the Frankston Priority Primary Care Centre. These are designed to take the load off the emergency departments of our major public hospitals and a bloody good idea they are, too. The doctor that saw Sally thought she might have fractured her wrist but an xray was unavailable. She put a backslab on and wrote a referral for an xray within the next couple of days (which would also mean swelling had reduced so a better image could be obtained)
When they arrived here (around 6 last night) Sally was in a bit of pain but analgesia helped as did "finally being at Lakes". The plan was that I would see if I could find somewhere to xray the arm tomorrow (Monday).
We had a lovely morning with doughnuts for breakfast, a game of mini golf with Mum, a temporary tattoo, fish and chips for lunch and games on Granny's computer. Three and Amy were getting ready to head off when Amy thought it best to take Sally to Bairnsdale Hospital this afternoon. I said we would take her and they could head home. On the way there I thought "duh, why don't we all go to the hospital and Mum can take kid in and if needs be hand over to grandparents". So we did. The hospital were amazing. Because she had the referral from yesterday she went straight through to Xray where the technicians were waiting for her. Turns out she has sustained a buckle fracture which is very common in kids of her age falling off the monkey bars. Clinical notes read "FOOSH" ... for you non medically literate what do you think that stands for?
Anyway, she now has another, lighter backslab and a decent sling. The backslab must remain in place for three weeks and the sling when she is out and about. Sadly that will mean no playgrounds or swimming these holidays. Mini golf is ok because she makes the rules up anyway. I will check that she can do the clay activity on Tuesday with her cast wrapped in gladwrap. We will go to the library and the book and games shop so I am sure we will find things to keep her busy and we will go for lots of walks. And ice cream. Must have ice cream.
You may recall that I have talked about how much Himself loves being here and every day is "Bloody Magic". I send Three a photo every day with that heading and Sally sees them. Lakes Entrance really is bloody magic.
When asked what tattoo she wanted when we went to the Happy Tatts tattoo tent she announced with great delight "BLOODY MAGIC". I explained to the lady the story behind this somewhat random outburst and she (phew) said that was a great idea and she would design one for next time they are down! Sally got a pokemon tattoo.
Granny had a very enjoyable night last night chatting and drinking wine with the fambly and got to bed after midnight. She was woken at 5.50am by a small child with a sore wrist. Granny is, therefore, very tired and will now go and pour a glass of an invigorating beverage and chill until an early bedtime.
Not only do I have no idea what FOOSH means, nor do I know what a backslab is. A weight put on your back as you sleep face down?
ReplyDeleteBeing an older person caring for younguns is hard work. Granny deserves a wee dram and a good night's sleep.
Granny will need more than a wee dram by the end of this visit!
DeleteWell, I was with Andrew. I had to google both terms. Now I know. I've never seen a backslab cast used here. I wonder if we even do use them? But FOOSH makes perfect sense.
ReplyDeletePoor Sally. I know it must hurt her. And poor Grandma. Perhaps a nap can be found today.
No rest for Granny yet. But we have had fun.
DeleteGood thing Gma was a nurse in an earlier life. At least she knows the language.
ReplyDeleteI love medical acronyms. Some make perfect sense and some a real head scratchers.
DeleteFOOSH = "Fell Off Object from Some Height."
ReplyDeleteThat's my guess! Probably not clinical enough, though. :)
Not a bad guess. She did fall off the monkey bars but she Fell On Out Stretched Hand
DeletePace yourself! Looking after a grandkid is hard work.
ReplyDeleteYou're not kidding!!!!
DeleteWell I know now what FOOSH is but will have to google back-slab cast. I didn't know there were different kinds, to me a cast is a cast.
ReplyDeleteI will explain in today's post which I am just about to write!
Delete