Sunday, 3 September 2023

Father's Day

Dinner last night was lovely. The environment was more pleasant than the Sports and Entertainment Centre. The menu wasn't as extensive yet the barramundi I had was just perfect and I liked that you could have full or half size serves of many dishes (like shnitz and parmas and fish n chips) which stops a lot of potential food wastage. I am wary of menus with too much choice - how fresh is it really and how much do they have to throw away? The cheesy garlic bread we decided to share as a starter was delicious and a very generous serve. The wine and beer were reasonably priced and we made a $1.25 profit on the pokies. 

Saturday night is raffle night. We didn't partake but will next time. The tickets are not expensive and there are about 40 prizes donated from local businesses. Members swipe their cards on entry and get a ticket which goes into yet another draw for $100 at 7pm, $150 at 7.30pm and $250 at 8pm. I guess that explains the number of people there when we first arrived!! We will definitely be back.

Today is Father's Day in Australia. Himself had already been given his present from the dogs - the windmill!

Being the first Sunday of the month it was also the foreshore market. I haven't been able to go since June and it was lovely to see a lot of stalls and huge crowds. We took the dogs but Murphy was overstimulated so Himself took them for a walk and I browsed the stalls. If I had a house and garden I would have bought so much stuff but with our living arrangements being a bit up in the air I don't want to add to potential moves and storage. There will be more markets and I will have a ball. 

This was the bloody magic photo I sent Three as we arrived.



Himself heading towards the market ...





I just loved the way these two were mirroring each other on one leg. I think they might be in lurve. It is Spring, after all and we will soon have lots of little baby swans.



Himself got calls from One and Three. Nothing from Two or Step Son. No surprises there. SS rarely contacts his dad and Two knows we know he loves us but he struggles sometimes with phone calls. And really, it's about our boys being with their kids.

I suggested going for a drive this afternoon and do a bit of exploring but those plans were not greeted with enthusiasm. Himself ended up taking the dogs for a really long walk and I sat outside and let the cats roam while I knitted and read (yes, I can multi-task). It was actually a very pleasant afternoon if a tad chilly in the breeze.

We are having soup and sandwiches for dinner after a filling brunch of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast. And no, I didn't cook it, Himself did. But it's Father's Day you say? He is not my father. I shall raise a glass of red wine in my father's memory.

And on this Father's Day I would like to say thank you to fathers, uncles, brothers, grandfathers, godfathers, stepfathers, father figures ... in fact all men who care, love, nurture, support, encourage, accept and cherish. The world needs you and is grateful to you. We should tell you more often.

16 comments:

  1. I do like Seniors Menus with smaller serves. If you are only ahead with your investment by $1.25, I think you need to play bigger. Invest money to make money. The theory is sound. It just did not work for me tonight. -$15.

    Thank you for thanking men. With rare exceptions, they love their children and strive to make their lives good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I got over the initial shock of being a senior I quite enjoy the benefits! I guess I shall up the ante next time we hit the pokies.
      Good men are role models regardless of whether they have kids of their own. We need to acknowledge this.

      Delete
  2. Hi sounds like you two are enjoying yourselves, exciting to have moved into such a lovely environment.....Peta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You've slid right into the living there! I'm so glad. I know we all worried when you had the initial urge to move but you were so right.
    Those swans are just too goofy gorgeous for words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried, too, but no regrets. I love our swans.

      Delete
  4. Father's Day in September. That's interesting! But I guess it IS spring there. Glad you enjoyed your night out and have found a new venue for socializing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like to keep things interesting but we still have Christmas in December!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good day all round. Yes, that move was right for you. You knew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, we are so happy we made the move. Building hassles notwithstanding, it was the best decision we have made.

      Delete
  6. Agree with your comment about the men in our lives, often taken for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect day.
    I’m very interested in the market. I think we could wander for hours

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! Cheesy garlic bread! I'd run a mile for that. If I could still run.

    ReplyDelete