Wednesday, 20 December 2023

Aldi

 


As you are well aware we refuse to use the oven in this house. It is putrid.

We have an air fryer which is great for small amounts of things. 

In this week's Aldi catalogue they had this ...



It is an air fryer, oven, rotisserie and dehydrator. It is rather large so finding somewhere in this house will be interesting but at least I can cook things in an oven again. Not sure about baking but I really miss things like quiche and pies and oven baked salmon. 

I have always been interested in dehydrating since Dr Teacher's first wife used to do a lot. 

We will have plenty of room to store it in the new house but probably won't need it as we will have a large oven but you never now. Sometimes it just isn't worth heating a large oven for a small meal. Something I did discuss with Himself when choosing said oven but he has always wanted a 900mm oven so we got one. It will be used, I am sure. No more baking in batches or deciding what doesn't really need to be cooked as it won't fit. 

I can always give it away when we decide we don't need it. I am sure there will be someone out there who would appreciate it.

They also had these ...



... which Himself thought was a great idea. It turns out to be a coffee percolator. You put ice in the container and hot coffee drips over the top of it. You then add milk and anything else you like. I think it will be going the same way as the air fryer as I am sure the novelty will wear off. 

A packet of containers for dog food and two bottles of white wine completed today's foray into Aldi.

Tomorrow Himself drives the 4 hours to Melbourne for what will probably be a 5 minute check up with the surgeon who did his eye and then 4 hours back again!

At least I can go out if I want to without having to worry about Jinx. I might just go for a wander around town and have a bite of lunch all by myself. 

Bliss! 


20 comments:

  1. The airfryer looks fantastic. Good buy. Coffee percolator, a nice toy!
    Boy would I love to wander round your Aldi. I wonder what would end up in my trolley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has some fascinating things! Their fudge and salted caramel tarts are to die for!

      Delete
  2. I go to Aldi once a week for the weekend food and I often say to the OH, how many angle grinders would you like ? I have bought several lovely board books for the toddler grandson recently! On Mondays I go to Waitrose, not half so much fun! ( and twice the price!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have Waitrose here but Aldi is a lot of fun. Their kid stuff is so cheap and yet good quality. Himself has often come home with some interesting looking tools. I bought a sewing machine which is still in its box as no room here.

      Delete
  3. Some of the odd stuff that Aldi sells can be great. We love our supermarket bag organiser that is velcroed to the car boot carpet. We like their cheap spectacle wipes. My light weight rechargeable electric shaver for $30 is ok to take away on holidays and the battery will last for two weeks, but it is underpowered and at time pulls hairs.

    The air fryer looks complicated with those drawers. I am not sure I would buy it, but if it is good, you'll find a place for it and use it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a lot of stuff be have bought from Aldi (sous vide springs to mind) it may not get used a lot but I am happy to give it away to someone who would appreciate it if it comes to that.

      Delete
  4. I did see those in the catalog yesterday.
    But like you I think the novelty would wear off and then I’ll have more stuff I need to find a home for.
    I have an air fryer which I use often it’s just a cheap one from Kmart but it’s fine for what I need

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Kmart air fryer and use it often. I wanted something a bit more oven like. We shall see how it goes.

      Delete
  5. Ah, yes, the mysterious allure of unnecessary kitchen appliances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refrained from buying the ice maker and frozen treat machines.

      Delete
  6. I think you will love your new air-fryer. I surely love mine and have gotten used to using the baking feature for small casseroles and things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great to hear, Mary, as that is what I wanted it for.

      Delete
  7. I very rarely buy anything from Aldi, though I did get the twins Storybook Advents there. And some very nice kitchen hand towels too. I wastefully heat up my oven for garlic bread because I don't have a toaster oven and nowhere to put one if I did buy one. But I don't eat garlic bread everyday and sometimes there will be a pizza in that same oven, so I tell myself I'm not wasting too much electricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not worried about the electricity - we all do out bit and save where we can. It's just sometimes it can take a long time to heat up for something small.

      Delete
  8. We don't have Aldi but that air fryer looks the business! Sorry I don't comment often... have a wonderful Christmas and you have a beautiful, brand new home to look forward to (and a big oven!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynda. :)
      I am surprised you don't have Aldi. Not enough people in NZ maybe?

      Delete
  9. When our stove crapped out, and there was a three month wait for the part, I bought myself a little countertop oven and it was well used. Enjoy the time without hubby:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's back!
      This will get well used for sure and then we can decided whether to keep it or donate it.

      Delete
  10. I have a toaster oven from free cycle which I often use rather than, as you say, putting on the big oven. It's pretty low tech compared to your space age appliance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My space age appliance is just heating elements and a fan!

      Delete