After I left Lifeline I went to work for a vet. He was a lovely English bloke, probably well into his 60s by then. His consulting rooms and kennels for his patients were at the back of his house. I worked mornings one week and evenings the next. I was given morning tea and lunch or afternoon tea and dinner. All prepared by his wife - also English - so lots of hearty home made stuff. As I was living in a flat on my own by then and rent took 50% of my wage it was a great help to be fed one decent meal a day.
It was a great job. Dr Williamson (or Dr Willy as we called him) did a bit of everything as vets did back then. We did the routine desexing but also caesarian sections (Mrs Willy was in charge of looking after the puppies or kittens as they emerged), orthopaedic surgeries, tail docking (now banned, thank god) and treated all manner of complaints. The thing I loved about Dr Willy was his refusal to put an animal to sleep just because the owners asked for it. If there was nothing wrong with the animals ("we are going on holidays and will get another puppy when we get back") he would show them the door.
I remember the day someone brought a feral cat in. It got out of the carrier and went beserk. It was like a cartoon blur of teeth, claws and fur. Dr Willy and I managed to corner it in my office (basically a cubby hole off the consulting area), pen it in with a cat cage and he threw a syringe with a sedative in it like a dart at the cat. Even with massive protective gloves we both ended up slightly the worse for wear. The cat was put down. It really was feral!
By now Himself and I had moved in together (shock, horror in the mid 70s). We were living in St Kilda and it was too difficult to get to McKinnon where the vet was. I didn't drive in those days and public transport wasn't the most direct. I had been with Dr Willy for 12 months which seemed to be my usual term of tenure so I resigned.
Not far from where we were living was a real estate agent. It is quite well known even now - Stockdale and Leggo but back then it was actually run by Mr Leggo. Mr Stockdale had left a year or so before. Again, I was at the front desk manning the plug and cord switchboard and taking rents or directing enquiries to relevant departments. It was perfectly normal to smoke at your desk and boozy lunches were not uncommon. I came back from one and answered the phone "Stockleg and Dago, good afternoon".
Apparently affairs between staff members were a regular occurence, a couple of salesmen were doing the dodgy buying and selling land and I was completely oblivious to everything. I realised later that the two dodgy fellows had something to do with some development in The Pines which would have made them quite a bit of money. I wish I could remember exactly what they did but I vaguely remember it was akin to having inside knowledge and therefore being able to buy land low and sell high to some government department but who knows and all involved at the time would be long gone by now.
After 12 months (see the pattern?) I resigned. Himself and I were getting married and I took a month or so off to help mum organise everything. (We were married at my parents' house, I made my own dress and mum did the catering).
Just before our wedding Dr Willy contacted me (I can't remember how as we didn't have the phone on and there were no mobile phones back then - maybe he had my parent's number as they would have been my next of kin when I was working for him). He needed someone to work for 6 weeks and that suited me just fine.
After the six weeks were up I applied for several jobs and had some very interesting interviews. One was for a dentist where I would be his assistant, be trained chair side and would also babysit his kids and do some housework. Even I could see that was rather a weird set up so I declined his offer.
I eventually landed a job as a receptionist in a service department of a car dealership. It was close by with public transport and just up from where Himself was working so he often dropped me off and picked me up.
I stayed in that industry from 1977 til 1983 but that will have to be part 3.
*****************************************
In house news, our slab is down. They built the formwork yesterday and poured it today. It has been hot and humid and wet and windy and hot and humid. Himself took an esky up to the block filled with ice and soft drinks and the tradies were most appreciative. I wonder how long before I receive the invoice for the next progress payment (due on completion of slab).
Nutty neighbour spends ages just sitting in front of her house in her car. She can't see anything or go into the house without her site supervisor. Even other neighbours have commented on how she just sits there! Yesterday, though, she went behind the safety fence and walked around the house and peered in the windows. I have photos! I was tempted to report her to HER builder but I am not that petty. I will hang onto the photos, though, just in case.
This morning I enrolled in 4 courses through the local U3A. They start in Feb. History on Mondays and Qigong, Criminology and Craft on Tuesdays. That should keep me busy!
Lamb backstraps for dinner in souvlaki bread with hummus, tzatziki and salad. A favourite.
Interesting reading, nice to remember what you did "back then". Look forward to reading #3.
ReplyDeleteIt has been an interesting trip down memory lane. So much has changed over the decades.
DeleteYou've certainly had a wealth of experience! I love it! "Stockleg and Dago! Good afternoon!" Ha!
ReplyDeleteI worry about nutty neighbor. Her behavior does not bode well for future interactions as neighbors.
We are hoping she will stay shut away in her house once it's finished.
DeleteI’m loving hearing al about your life.
ReplyDeleteMine is soooooo boring compared, well to everyone lol
I can’t believe you have a nutty neighbour. With a bit of luck contact will be minimal
Your reference to the U3A is the second time in a week for me. I think it might be a sign. I’ll have to check it out and see if there are any classes I’m interested in.
History is sounding like a good one
The U3A in Cranbourne has some great courses.
DeleteI had to laugh at Stockleg and Dago. You've held far more jobs than anyone I know. Your first paragraph had me thinking of the English series "All Creatures Great and Small". Hooray for slabs!
ReplyDeleteYour neighbor sounds unbalanced for sure!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine someone would put down a healthy animal because they're going on vacation. People are awful. I'm glad your vet didn't do it but I suppose they probably went and found another one who did.
As for the cat, it sounds like it was right to fight back, considering its ultimate fate!
The feral cat sounds scary. They're usually shy, but when they feel, or are, trapped, they go for the nuclear option. My dear Annabelle was like that with the rescuing vet and his techs. Leather gloves, face protection!
ReplyDeleteI met her when she was in a tabletop enclosure, she signaled to me, and I reached in, asked her if I could pick her up. She agreed, and to the amazement of the vet staff, was perfectly calm and happy with me.
I was the only human permitted to touch her though! They called me a couple of times to see how it was going. I guess she chanced on just the right human, just in time.