Friday, 2 February 2024

A drive

We finally did the drive to Bruthen. It was a great day for a drive as it was too windy to really do much else but the sun was out and the sky was blue.

We took the longer way via Nowa Nowa which is another on our list in which to spend some time.

We had a late lunch at a lovely little cafe and then I went and investigated a little local craft shop. She had some very pretty quilting fabric but that is a hobby that is very much on the back burner for now. She did, however, have some absolutely gorgeous hand spun and dyed alpaca, wool and silk yarn skeins. Two jumped up and bit me on the nose so I had to buy them. I have no idea what I will use the for - maybe weaving, maybe knitting - but in the mean time they will have pride of place in my craft room when I finally get it set up.

Instead of retracing our footsteps (tyre tracks) we came home via Swan Reach which is the first township you come to on the road to Bairnsdale from here. The drive was through some beautiful countryside alongside the Tambo River.

We do live in gods own country.

Home via Aldi (need wine) and the block (just to check the fencing etc is still upright with this wind).

I really enjoy going for drives. We tend to talk more.

And with this as a backdrop for the drive what could be more perfect?



15 comments:

  1. Victoria is a really beautiful state for driving through. When we lived there we mostly just drove from Puckapunyal to Melbourne and back, but that was nice enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. East Gippsland is stunning. And a bit of a secret.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day. I’m back on the farm and yes it quite windy
    At least it’s cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest Nowra Nowra too. The Tambo River looks lovely. A couple of memories from my old blog:

    "There are regular writers of letters to newspapers. I only know of The Age ones, and not really recent letter writers. The first I recall was the unusually named Charlotte Hartwigg of St Kilda. After reading her letters to the papers for years, a letter was published that she had died.

    Next was Constance E. Little of Swan Reach, later of Eagle Point. She too died and received some publicity due to her frequently published letters."

    We really did make such a mess of the grass outside the Swan Reach caravan park on your side of the town. I didn't realise how heavy the campervan was.

    "We were to park our van at our friend's place in Lakes Entrance. We were a little early and the van needed some sorting out, so at Swan Reach I pulled off the road onto a grassy verge. Off we go, but we didn't. The rear wheels spun and then one wheel only spun and dug a deep hole. If it was a car, I could have gotten it out by rocking back and forwards but with the weird transmission, that wasn't working. Mild panic, yes. Worst case, call the RACV to pull us out. No sooner than we were bogged, the ever so handsome young Brett from Queensland pulled up with his four wheel drive. I think he had his chick with him, but I did not take much notice of her. Brett checked the underside of our van and found a hook on point and simply towed us backwards using his very strong cable. From bogging to being back on the road was all of ten minutes. We did leave a terrible hole in nicely maintained grass, for which I am regretful, but it wasn't deliberate."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall check the verge next time we drive past for historical evidence of bogging.

      Delete
  4. So beautiful, so Australian. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so fortunate to live in a place like Australia. On so many levels.

      Delete
  5. Lovely place. And I'd really like a picture of the yarn, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall work out a way to take a photo - just for you, Liz

      Delete
  6. I'd say that was a fine outing. Mr. Moon and I need to do more of those day trips. We do talk more in the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to assume one doesn't need to drive to talk but for some reason it makes conversations flow.

      Delete
  7. I never think of Australia as being verdant, too many movies of Australian deserts. It's very beautiful. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some parts are very like England.
      We have deserts, snow, tropical rain forests and temperate zones. People don't realise what a huge country it is until they visit.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful scenery! I love a good car trip, too. One of the things I'm looking forward to while in California next week is driving.

    ReplyDelete