Saturday, 3 February 2024

Another drive

This morning Facebook, the all seeing all knowing deity, suggested I might like a certain page. It was called "The Best Vanilla Slices in Australia".

If you are Australian you will know about vanilla slices. Most love them. Some hate them. They have been given the unfortunate sobriquet "Snot Block". Towns claim to have the best. There are competitions to decide the victor. They are not to be confused with custard slices or custard tarts. They are similar to a mille-feuille but have a different texture - not as cream based.

I am very much in camp "love them".

Having said that, I have had some very ordinary versions and have been very disappointed when driving some distance to sample a claim of being one of the best.

A good vanilla slice should have flaky pastry - but not too flaky that it falls apart. It should have firm - but not TOO firm - vanilla custard and the custard MUST taste of vanilla. It should never, ever, ever have a floury texture. Some insist on plain icing, some insist on passion fruit icing and some will settle for a dusting of icing sugar. I am not concerned as the topping becomes irrelevant if the custard and pastry are perfect or *shudder* tough, floury and tasteless.

Anyway, back to this morning.

This facebook group member raved about a vanilla slice he rated 9.9/10 (the 0.1 was giving him wriggle room in case a better slice loomed in his future). And it was in Orbost. A mere 57 kms from Lakes.

'Twas another glorious day in East Gippsland and Himself was up for the drive.

After he walked the dogs we set off through more of gods own country, desparing and yet marvelling at the signs of the bushfires from late 2019. The way the bush regernerates never ceases to amaze me. Black poles of burnt trees surrounded by fluffy greenery as they keep on keeping on.

We reached Orbost and drove through the main only street looking for this pot of gold. I struggled with internet reception but we finally found a particular spot on the side of the road that would let me connect and I googled Orbost Bakery. I don't know how we missed it.



Sadly, it was closed. I had forgotten that we live in the country.

Never mind. We have an excuse to return during the week and sample their wares as well as look at some other interesting businesses.

We drove to Marlo (I went there with the Mermaid when she was down at New Year) and then came home.

Once home and on my PC with decent internet I realised that there was, in fact, another bakery in Orbost that was open and also is reported to have very good vanilla slices.

Guess we'll have to go back twice.

12 comments:

  1. Or do takeaway from one bakery to save for later. Marlo is a bit of a strange place. I think we saw dolphins there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is right where the Snowy meets the ocean and has some amazing views. The town itself doesn't do anything for me.

      Delete
  2. Snot block - urgh. My husband likes them though. Have you been to Ouyen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been up that way. The Mermaid and I are planning to do the silo drive so will probably end up around there. Why do you ask? Good slices?

      Delete
    2. The bakery won the best vanilla slice in Victoria one year. Not according to my husband the slice enthusiast though!

      Delete
  3. You just teach me things all the time! I had never heard of a vanilla slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a unique experience. Similar to many things but stands on its own.

      Delete
  4. Wow. A very busy day.
    And no snot block. That’s disappointing
    I’m in the not a fan club of the old snot block. But my friend craved them during her chemo sessions. So every week I’d buy one for her.
    Thankfully I didn’t have to drive that far lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have to be good or they aren't worth the effort.
      You are a good friend.

      Delete
  5. I used to LOVE vanilla slices as a child, but the ones I've tried in recent years just don't pass the test. The vanilla is fine, the top pastry good enough, but the bottom layer of pastry is grey tasteless cardboard, it doesn't even cut with a knife! I hope the ones you sample at Orbost are worthy of the trip. Please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim to please, River, and will provide a detailed critique!

      Delete
  6. I don't think I've ever had a vanilla slice, at least not by that name. Let us know how the Orbost slices stack up!

    ReplyDelete