The comment spam gremlin has struck again. I found 7 comments in my spam folder. I am sorry. I usually check every day but when I don't this happens!
Anyway. Yesterday we took a drive into Bairnsdale to suss out the court building. It is a pretty old building and there was a very helpful security gentleman who, after ascertaining I really was going to be there for a legit reason, gave me some tips on what to bring and not to bring and where to park. A trip to a couple of shops to look at security cameras as Himself is considering putting one up somewhere to see if NN goes onto the property.
A quiet day today. We were going to have a look through the house this afternoon but the chippies are still working so we should be able to have a walk through on Monday morning.
It wasn't a wasted trip as we got to meet and chat with several neighbours. The general consensus is that it is a quiet street and everyone keeps to themselves. Suits us.
Today I had my favourite dark roasted crunchy peanut butter on toast and for some reason had a craving for strawberries so I added slices on top of the peanut butter and I was in heaven.
As a kid peanut butter and vegemite was a favourite sandwich filling or toast topping.
My mother used to hate preparing food and that included school lunches so she was always looking for something different - more for her than us, I feel. As a result we had some interesting sandwich fillings :
- cheese and walnuts
- celery and sultanas
- caviar (for the last day of school and a bottle of babycham when we got home cos she didn't think the school would be impressed if she packed it in our lunch boxes)
- dates and walnuts
- peanut butter and sultanas
- peanut butter and celery
- chicken and bacon (oh yum)
I guess the combination of salty or savoury and sweet is not unusual these day but remember this was the '60s and early '70s, the latter being in Australia where anything out of the ordinary was considered strange (to be polite).
What taste combinations do you enjoy that others might find odd? I know different countries have different favourites.
Omg. Yes. Even back then alcohol wouldn’t be an acceptable beverage at school. Lol I think the cameras are a great idea.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up pretty much everything I ate was considered weird.
So when I would make my lunch Vegemite and cheese was my favourite. Just like all the Australian kids
Kids can be so cruel, can't they?
DeleteWalnuts were often in our sandwiches and raisins. My mother liked to make things interesting. She usually cut the crusts off too.
ReplyDeleteShe was one of the the tuck shop sandwich makers and like to do things properly. Bread was always buttered right out to the edges.
Alcohol?? Naa, not on her list .
Cheese, lettuce and marmite. I think marmite went with the walnuts.
Cucumber and marmite.
No Vegemite lol
Your house is progressing fast. Get that security camera.
Vegemite and marmite are sort of interchangeable! I had forgotten cucumber and vegemite - still a favourite.
DeleteFor some of us, Vegemite and Marmite are NOT interchangeable.
DeleteRiver, I said "sort of"! Marmite (the spread of my childhood before I came here) is now way too sweet for me.
DeleteI think I photographed the court building in Bairnsdale a few years ago. What am I forgetting about you going to court?
ReplyDeleteWhat a varied diet you had as a child. I think my school sandwiches alternated between Vegemite and jam. Worst case would be cold toast. I don't remember anything sweet or any fruit. But there was always the delicious sun warmed milk to have for morning break.
DeleteWhen we lived in HK we would also get thermos flasks with hot meals in them in winter. Thank god she didn't give us those here - we would have been laughed out of the school. (Beauy High was not an inclusive school in the '70s!).
Himself cannot drink milk to this day thanks to school milk.
I can only drink very cold milk. The thought of school milk makes me feel sick.
DeleteMy late husband like peanut butter and Spanish onion. I like banana and peanut butter.
ReplyDeleteMarmite was always in my childhood home and there is also some in mine now. You either love it or hate it.
Vegemite is the same.
DeleteI like the idea of peanut butter and onion. Might give that a try.
We ate a lot of bologna sandwiches when I was a kid. It was cheap. We usually put Miracle Whip (a sort of salad dressing type thing) and mustard on the bread. Sometimes I would be so bored with that combination that I would use ketchup and pickle relish. It wasn't really that good but it was different.
ReplyDeleteI have heard of bologna. I am not sure what the equivalent is here but I am sure we have one. Miracle Whip sounds like it should be a dessert.
DeleteI was a crunchy peanut butter kid. Still am!
ReplyDeleteThe crunchier the better.
DeleteWe always came home to lunch. Main cooked meal of the day. Nice for kids, chained women to the house, though.
ReplyDeleteGrowing up in the ne of Yorkshire, chippies were ladies of the night. Likewise budgies.
I wouldn't want to suggest that definition to any Aussie tradie!!
DeleteI think going home would be lovely but then lunch time at school was always a social time with friends.
I do remember being served peanut butter on celery in our elementary school cafeteria. Nowadays they couldn't do that because so many kids (like my niece) have terrible peanut allergies. It's a good taste combo, though!
ReplyDeleteThat is another one I remember. I used to have it as an after school snack.
DeleteI often wonder why there are so many nut allergies these days. They were very rare a generation or so ago.
Hope you enjoy your experience on Jury Duty. I have been called three times but never was selected for a trial.
ReplyDeleteTime will tell!
DeleteI like strawberry jam on Salada crackers, the salt/sweet combination is lovely. I never fussed too much with my kids lunches, most of the time they were too busy playing or chatting to eat and when they got home they would throw the sandwiches onto the heap in the back corner of the yard. When I found them I told them that's okay, but please take off the plastic wrapper so the dog could eat them.
ReplyDeleteThe spam gremlin has been wiping me out all over the internet.
Poor dog!!
Delete