Monday, 5 February 2024

History

I had a shocking night's sleep with the heat, humidity and knowing I had to be up at a certain time. I had just fallen asleep when the dogs decided they needed to go out. Himself normally attends to them but he slept through the three anxious barks so I got up. As I was waiting for them to do their business the bloody cat snuck out. Ever tried to find and catch a black and white cat in the middle of the night in the dark among outdoor furniture? He might have squeaked when I caught him.

I got up and off to the U3A rooms and was greeted with such friendly people. As I was driving down my anxiety was through the roof and I was almost tempted to turn around. I am so glad I didn't. 

We had a lovely chat about this and that. The other new member has two aboriginal grandchildren and it was interesting to hear her take on some of the stuff in the media at the moment. Not everyone agrees with the vocal minorities but there is still a lot of hurt. I can see some more fascinating conversations throughout the year.

We watched a video on the Potato Famine in Ireland in the 1850s and the fall out. It was also presented from a colonial perspective (the English were not very helpful). We finish watching next week and I am sure there will be lively discussion.

We have our roof trusses going up. The place is looking like a house!! NN drove past a couple of times and yelled something at Himself through her car window. His hearing isn't the best and he didn't hear exactly what she said and just carried on what he was doing. We are quietly telling our neighbours about her behaviour. Silly bitch. I feel that the roof may trigger her again as the roof line (what I think she meant when talking about the pitch) could be construed as similar. When the whole thing is finished it will be chalk and cheese to her place but it doesn't seem to take much to tip her over the edge.

A whole morning at U3A tomorrow and one of the ladies from history will be at criminology. I hope tomorrow is as lovely as today.

5 comments:

  1. I do hope NN settles down once the houses are finished and she can see how different they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s always the way. The morning you have to be up and out early. It’s the exact night you don’t sleep.
    Your classes sound very fascinating indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great start to your classes, and good for you, going despite feeling anxious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything that opens our minds to the experiences and truths of others is good, I think. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I joined two U3As but none had photography courses, which is what I was really interested. Of course there were other interesting things to learn about. But I didn't end up bothering with it. The added dimension for me is of course, 'and do you have grandchildren?'. Here we go again. I'm glad you made the effort and you enjoyed yourself. You don't think NN called out, "Lovely day isn't it".

    ReplyDelete