Friday, 15 March 2024

Well, hello

I certainly didn't plan to be absent for so long but ended up taking a long break from all things blogging including reading them. I missed you all but was spending a huge amount of time reading, commenting and thinking about what to write and felt I could probably spend that time being more "present in the moment" as Sally keeps telling Three when he spends too much time on his phone. It wasn't just my blogging life - I also made an effort to cut down on my general internet presence (blogging and all things related being the biggest proportiion).

Over the past week I have dipped my toe in the waters and started reading some much loved and missed blogs and today I made a couple of comments. If I haven't got around to yours I will soon, I promise.

So what has been happening chez Merlot?

The build is going along really well. We were able to have a walk through today. The plaster is up on all the walls so we really get a feel for how the rooms will feel. The brickies did a fabulous job and the exterior walls look great. The waterproofing is being done and the tiles will go in soon. The kitchen should be installed in a couple of weeks.

If all continues according to plan we should have handover by the end of May. Which is nearly three months earlier than we expected. 

We met a landscaper on Wednesday and were very impressed with him. Instead of going for retaining walls (expensive and more structured than I wanted but I didn't know what other options there were) we are looking at creating a large rockery where we can plant herbs and colourful, sweet smelling plants in between the rocks. We are still waiting on the quote which will, no doubt, be a big *gulp* moment! But as I said to Himself, we don't move into a house without the walls being painted and I want the garden to be finished as well.

After some gentle nagging prodding, I finally got Himself to agree that we should start looking at furniture and fridges and stuff as you can't just waltz into a shop and say "want that one" (if you know the reference, you know!) and have it delivered. Today we ordered a fridge, a bed and bedside tables and are waiting for availability on a couple of dining tables. We are going with the local furniture shop and made sure we ordered from the kid young man who is our neighbour. He gets the commission and we got a really good price. Win win. 

I have chosen the couches and chairs I want - I just have to work out what configuration. 

I realise this sounds rather spendthrift but we aren't replacing everything and what we are will be donated.

I finally saw a doctor about my hip and his diagnosis was "a very bad arthritic hip". As in let's get some bloods done because you will probably need surgery. I have had xrays done and will see him next week for the results and a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon. 

CW is still causing issues but not just with us! She has a name for herself around town and it's not one anyone would really want.

Three and his lot were down over the past weekend which was a long one in Victoria. It was really hot but better here than in Melbourne. The kids played in the water and we took them all out on a boat for an hour. You don't need a boating licence and it was a great adventure.

This is what the boat looked like (not my photo).


Sally loved being able to drag her hand in the water




Life continues on. Some days are better than others. Some days are bloody brilliant.

I think it is safe to say the honeymoon period of moving to a new place is over but it is still the best decision we made.

Thanks to all who commented saying I was missed.

I guess I'm back!!

31 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you back and that all is well. Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie. It was a longer break than anticipated!

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back- hope you’re well and rested. You’ve been missed. Good luck with ‘the hip’ - is there a problem with the back or was that referred pain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sacro-iliac issues as well as the arthritic hip. Hopefully fixing one will settle the other.

      Delete
  3. So good to see you again. Now I'm waiting for weaving, knitting, all that, maybe after you move in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been knitting but the weaving will have to wait.

      Delete
  4. I was just about to come here and tell you that I missed you when I saw that you'd commented on my blog. I was so happy to see you there and I am so glad to see you here. Good to know that all is going well and that you'll be moving into your new house earlier than you thought. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to have you back! I can totally understand your desire to back away from blogging for a while. It DOES take a lot of time and effort, though I am somewhat addicted to the routine. :)

    I'm glad you're making progress on your new homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back. I've been looking out for a post. Good to hear your news. Gosh your house seems to be coming along so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are thrilled with our builders. They are realy moving along.

      Delete
  7. So nice to see you back in blog land, missed you. Happy to read you are well rested and you will be moving into your new house earlier than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you're back ... it's fun to get updated on the build. That's brilliant that it will be done almost 3 months early. We've got a CW in our little town who even made the local facebook page with some of her rude antics. It's lovely that you can rent the boat ... so much fun for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This CW doesn't seem to realise she is living in a small country town and her behaviour will not go down well.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the update, so happy to know all is well. I`m looking forward to all the house news in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's nice to see this pop up. When we say "I want that one", we use the same accent as the original. Your house has been built so quickly. I am truly surprised. My brother had a hip replaced a few years ago, an old injury, and it went perfectly, no problems since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we!! I doubt there is any part of that show that would be allowed these days!

      Delete
  11. Good to hear the build is progressing nicely and you are choosing furniture too. A rockery sounds like a great idea. A few hours in a boat on the water sounds like Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such fun. We might even do it just the two of us! The rockery will be lovely. I can plant all sorts of things without the hassle of weeding large beds.

      Delete
  12. Welcome back! Good to hear you've been enjoying life! Hope the hip issues are dealt with promptly. Great news about the build, take care Blods Uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am hoping I can get an appointment sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  13. Glad you're back. I always worry when bloggers I follow suddenly just disappear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I know the feeling and didn't mean to be the cause myself.

      Delete
  14. Welcome back. I’m currently in a no blog kinda way. Hopefully I’ll get my mojo back soon. Enjoy the shopping

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. Especially after the alpaca incident.

      Delete
  15. I fully understand how the blogs etc can take over. Just blog less often and don't feel obliged to read others all the time. I love the idea of all new furniture for a brand new home - it will look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I don't read I feel I am ignoring friends!

      Delete
    2. Sparklingmerlot... I don't always read all of your posts but do enjoy catching up so don't feel so obliged to make other blogs your life. I mainly blog to express myself and record my life and if others read that that's wonderful. Make sure you just enjoy your life and write your blog if you like and we will simply enjoy following along :)

      Delete