And here we are again. Another trip around the sun. 2024 has certainly had its ups and downs. When I look back I realise that I did cram quite a bit into it!
The new house and the new hip took up a lot of time, several trips to Melbourne, dealing with the awful rental and the fall out, making new friends (hi Penguin), joining U3A and then the committtee and generally getting used to our new lives in Lakes. We are still convinced we made the best decision moving here.
On Monday last week we had some neighbours over for drinks. It was lovely getting to know them better. One couple have sold their house and will be moving mid Jan which is a shame. Their new next door neighbours are a challenge (drugs, feral kids, noisy cars and we get frequent visits from the local constabulary which is fine by me) which was the catalyst in them selling although they had been toying with the idea to be closer to her children and grandchildren. They have only been here 2 years. He is our neighbour that works at the local transfer station and he will continue to work there for the foreseeable future so we can still catch up.
The other couple live next door to them on the other side and are more our age (if not a bit older) and I think we will see more of them.
I also invited Sue whose husband recently decided he didn't want to be married anymore after they built their new house so she is living in it alone (he comes up from time to time to work on the garden, decking, fence, etc and makes her cry) until it is sold and then she will have to decide whether to go it alone in Lakes or move back to Melbourne where she has family. If she chooses the latter it will be a huge financial struggle for her as her share of the sale won't get her anything half decent in the city whereas she could get a nice little unit here. Either way, I will continue to support her as best I can whilst she is in this awful situation. We have coffee at least once a week and she just talks about the soon-to-be-ex.
While they were here we got notification that our VCAT hearing will be on 4th February. It is all now in the hands of the magistrate and on 5th February we can put that episode behind us and move on regardless of the outcome.
We had a quiet Christmas. We took the dogs for a walk along the foreshore and as the tide was in and the tourists scarce we let them have a bit of a swim.
A couple of my favourite feathered residents ...
... it was a glorious day.
On Friday Two and his lot arrived and stayed until first thing Saturday. I had my trepidations about this visit as his kids are not well behaved and his wife is not the best at setting boundaries. My fears were well founded. I was very sad when they left that I couldn't say they were welcome any time and I couldn't wait to see them again because, honestly, until the kids' behaviours improve they aren't welcome and I can't see that happening any time soon.
Three and his lot arrived later on Friday and it was lovely to see the cousins interact but everyone was exhausted including Sally as everything was a drama. If Two's kids don't get their own way they literally scream until they do.
Once the NSW lot had left things were a lot calmer. We had doughnuts for breakfast, played in the new playground and generally chilled.
Part of the issue with Two's girls is their fear of dogs but instead of reassuring them, their fear is fed. Billie said she didn't want the dogs inside and Himself said the dogs would come inside. Mads said that would be interesting as Billie always wins. Well, this time she didn't and the dogs did come in and the girls were told in no uncertain terms to stop squealing which they did. And they even patted the dogs.
Which is why these two photos mean so much to me. Alice also used to be terrified of the dogs - and understandably when you realise how big they are and how small she is - but she is told to be calm and tell them to go away (which they do) and we end up with this ...
... maybe one day Two's kids will be the same.
On Sunday we had doughnuts for breakfast and the blokes took the girls to play minigolf while Amy and I looked at the shops. We had a quiet afternoon and then had fish and chips for dinner on the foreshore before heading to the carnival. We did this last year when they surprised us with a visit. Sally wanted to go on the ride she struggled with last year and asked Himself to go with her. It wasn't a success! Initially they seemed fine but her face quickly changed to one of acute discomfort. Unbeknownst to me Himself had knocked back two 500ml energy drinks whilst waiting for the fish and chips to be cooked - he has only just discovered these and didn't realise the effect of such a caffeine hit. He ended up very unwell and took himself home while we stayed on. Energy drinks and fairground rides don't mix well!
If you have looked at the link to last year's visit you will remember the dude who helped Sally with the backward/forward turns. He was there again this year and was amazing with the kids who obviously wanted to challenge themselves. Including, no surprise, Sally.
She was very hard to photograph but had an absolute ball.
Himself had gone home by this point so the 5 of us went on the ferris wheel. The views are still amazing. Like last year, this is the best time as the sun is setting but you still get a good view of the area.
Alice was still mainly interested in the kiddie rides but she and mum thoroughly enjoyed the dodgem cars - as did Dad and Sally.
It was a quiet morning yesterday as they packed up. We went to the pub for lunch and then they headed home.
This morning we hit the shops but not early enough! You can always pick the tourists - they are the ones with an entire family in a small supermarket; grandparents, parents and many kids all meandering around the store blocking the aisles and discussing what they should or shouldn't buy. I wanted eggs and neither Woollies or Aldi had any. We tried Foodworks on the offchance and they were unloading a delivery from a local free range chook farm. Score!! 2 dozen eggs and I was happy. We have had a huge issue with bird flu which is why eggs are so scarce but the price hike is crazy. They are almost in the luxury food category whereas they used to be a good, inexpensive source of protein.
And now here we are.
Himself is planning to go into town to see the 9.30 fireworks. I will not be joining him. I understand we might see some from here and that will be fine whether we do or not.
I realise I haven't posted much here this year but I did write something every month! I will try harder next year but if I have nothing to say I will stay quiet. I admire those who manage to come up with such interesting content every day (you know who you are and I salute you).
I am so grateful to be part of this online community. You make me laugh and cry, you challenge my thinking and you share so much of yourselves and your lives. Thank you.
Have a very happy and safe New Year's Eve and may 2025 bring you health, happiness and the strength to navigate the ups and downs of life.














I am always uncomfortable with ill-behaved kids too and wish I could say something to the parents, but I zip my lip and bite my tongue.
ReplyDeleteI might step outside later tonight if I hear fireworks going off, just to see if anything is visible, but probably I will see much more on the news tomorrow night. I'm glad you had a great Christmas and that Sally and Alice got comfortable with the dogs.
Happy New Year, River. I hope you get a glimpse of fireworks.
DeleteMy NYE will be safe, with just going downstairs with my tenants to the tram stop to see the 9.30 fireworks. I'll be soundly asleep by midnight.
ReplyDeleteYour post was long and it was good to read about how your Christmas went.
I have a scar on one of my little fingers from a dog bite, but I've never been scared of them. You had a good outcome with the dogs.
Are you saying I waffled on? 🙃
DeleteEnjoy the fireworks ... can you not see them from the high-rise?
I am so glad we got to meet face to face this year.
Not from my side of the building.
DeleteYou've had an entertaining time. Seeing the world through another's eyes is a privilege.
ReplyDeleteI hope your 2025 will be happy and healthy.
Thank you.
DeleteBeautifully said ... it is indeed a privilege.
Wishing you a happy New Year! And though you don't post all the time, you do fill us in so we're not missing out. Yes, busy year for you. Hoping for another action packed one, well maybe not including surgery, though.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Liz. I plan to avoid surgery this year!
DeleteYour Christmas season was a mix of the good, bad and ugly, and you survived. My sister has some ill-behaved grands, I don't see them often. 2024 was not the best of years for me, due to my accident while on vacation, I survived. Love reading your posts when ever they appear, it's so nice to see what my far away blog friends are doing, their ups and downs of everyday life. Wishing you and yours a happy, healthy and a prosperous 2025.
ReplyDeleteThe good the bad and the ugly sums it up well. Your accident was terrible but you made it and that's all that matters. I shall try to post more frequently this year.
DeleteWell, that was a LOT! I guess some visits are successful if there just aren't any trips to the ER.
ReplyDeleteSo your eggs are high too? Probably Joe Biden's fault. That's the problem here, anyway. Or so the magats said. I expect them to go back down in price as soon as Trump is sworn in.
Happy New Year, Ms. Merlot. I hope y'all have a good and rather uneventful. year.
Our issue is a virus that is wiping out flocks but I wonder if prices will come down when the flu has run its course or if the supermarkets will keep them inflated. When will the magats realise they have been sold a dud? Interesting times ahead for you, Mary.
DeleteHappy New Year! You've had a lot going on there. Your neighbor dramas are always interesting. What's happened with the crazy neighbor lately?
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear the VCAT thing will get sorted out relatively soon. (And hopefully in your favor, needless to say.)
Great pics of the carnival and the dogs. And yes, so important to set boundaries with kids!
Sorry, Steve, I found this in Spam.
DeleteIt would be awful having grandkids visit that don't like dogs and scream a lot. It would be a nightmare actually.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the move has turned out so well for you two, and that you get to enjoy the lovely scenery. The wife who was left is the reason I always wanted to be able to support myself and my children. I ended up staying with my ex because of Katie though, so there's that. I had a horrible dream about my ex last night, he was moving out and he was stealing my pens. Very strange.
Hope you have a lovely New Year.
I had a giggle at the pens - it's the nurse in you!
DeleteHappy New Year to you, too.
Happy New Year sparkling. Love reading your blog, you speak so well. Totally agree on children’s discipline issues these days, one of things I don’t understand is how parents allow their children to wander their own and others houses while eating, even watermelon. Hope your new hip is allowing you much more pain free freedom. You seem to have forged ahead in the community. Especially love the last dodgem car photo, everyone so happy. Best wishes going forward. Marie, Cheltenham
ReplyDeleteI think that is the one thing that they did insist on - eating at the table. It made cleaning the mess easier but I think she does it from fear of choking. The dodgem cars were a huge success and that photo makes my heart happy.
DeleteI am grateful to have found your blog and be able to follow you and your lovely Australian family.
ReplyDeleteAll the best for 2025. Good luck in February. Wishing Yourself and Himself good health and continuing happiness in your new home.
Thank you for your kind words and a very Happy New Year to you as well. I will certainly report back post Feb 4th!!
DeleteYou have had a busy few weeks. It’s lovely your making friends with the locals. You’ll be one very soon too.
ReplyDeleteI hope this coming year is less stressful for you and you find the clam blissful live you need.
This year I will definitely get down to have a coffee and a chat
Happy New Year! Please keep on blogging.enjoy catching up on your news. Catch up for coffee and a face to face chat again early February. Penguin.
ReplyDeleteI look forward to that.
Delete