Max was making that chittering noise that cats do when there is something they want to get at but can't.
It turned out that the dogs hadn't eaten all their dinner last night and Himself had left their dishes on the outdoor table. A juvenile kookaburra (I am assuming juvie because of its size) and two large pied currawongs were having a wonderful time helping themselves to the leftovers - some chicken mince and dried dog food. Initially I though the currawongs were magpies because of the splash of white but on closer inspection (through the glass door) it was clear they weren't. Maggies aren't as large nor do they look quite so menacing face on! They can be territorial so if they had been maggies I wouldn't have minded as apparently, they remember where people leave them food and are less likely to swoop.
As I moved closer to the door the kookaburra took off and watched from the top of the fence post. I love the hook on its beak.
Old mate was not bothered by my presence at all: in fact I got the impression I was being challenged!
Another day of sitting on the couch and knitting. I did manage to make an appointment with my GP to go over the results of the xrays and bone density scan I had done a couple of weeks ago. Just as well I'm not too concerned as it isn't until the 30th June! They release new appointment times on line at the end of the month and I was able to snag one. It is nigh impossible to see a doctor in town in a timely fashion. The older practice hasn't taken new patients for years so it makes it even harder for newcomers. In theory, if you ring at 8.30 in the morning they keep a handful of appointments for emergencies but (touch wood) I have never needed to see a doctor urgently so I book when I can. If my current doctor leaves the practice (which happens too frequently) I think I'll move to a practice in Bairnsdale which is about a 40 minute drive away but you can get in to see a doctor in less than 5 weeks.
A couple of months ago the local Rotary club held a trivia night. Himself booked a table of 6 with some people from the CFA and we came second! One of the prizes was a voucher to a local pub and Friday night we all headed out for dinner. It was great fun and we plan to catch up again - we won a dozen bottles of wine as well and sharing is caring! The pub had a raffle and each couple on our table won a prize - I think we might be a lucky group! Typical Aussie pub raffle prizes - a meat tray, a breakfast tray, a fruit/veg tray, beer ... you get the idea. I chose the breakfast tray which had half a dozen eggs, 3 english muffins, 4 hash browns, a bottle of orange juice, a tin of baked beans and a jug of pankcake mix! Rather an odd combination but we will be having bacon, eggs and hash browns for dinner tonight. I will keep the pancake mix for when the kids come down and they can make their own.
Another week beckons - U3A classes, coffee group and maybe a few walks. Winter starts tomorrow.



Your trivia prizes are a lot better than the ones around here! You'd be lucky to get one bottle of wine.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've truly made a home there. I really admire you and Himself for dreaming a new dream and making it happen.
Isn't it great to watch birds do their thing.
ReplyDeleteThat's sensible about getting a Bairnsdale doctor. It is not as if you are visiting weekly, and a forty minute drive is nothing for you country folk. 🤨
. I love the look of the currawong. He's sizing you up, be back for more tomorrow no doubt.
ReplyDeleteGood on your quiz win, and those bottles of wine
Congratulations! You certainly seem to be on a lucky streak.
ReplyDeleteIt's lovely to see the different kinds of birds that live in Australia.
ReplyDeleteYou did well at quiz night, big winnings:)
Beautiful photos. ❤️
ReplyDelete