Sunday, 24 May 2026

Dipping my toes back in the water






Well it turned out I was AWOL for a bit longer than I intended.

I was having (and might still be having for all I know) some serious concerns about life on the interwebs and privacy issues and putting too much out there cos you just never know who might find you. But, oh boy, I missed it. I would compose blogposts in my head as I went to sleep promising myself I would write something the next day but the next day would come and ... meh.

Anyway, here I am. Granted, I still have to hit that publish button but being here is a start.

So what has happened over the past few months?

I left you with the aunt going into care so I may as well start there. 

She was not long in there when she had (another) fall and fractured her hip which resulted in a transfer to a larger town for surgery then back to the smaller town for some rehab and then back to the care facility. Whilst all this was going I was talking to doctors about treatment and ongoing management. I understand that as Enduring Power of Attorney it was down to me to make decisions on her behalf but I was frustrated when certain doctors wouldn't actually give me advice. Them: "Do you want us to start her back on blood thinners?" Me: "What do you suggest?" Them: "We can't tell you - we can just give you the statistics for and against." That's no bloody help. Then one doctor would say yes, the next no and so it went. Pros and cons for both. I think we ended up with no blood thinners because of the risk of a bleed if she fell. So she developed a DVT which meant ... yup ... back on blood thinners to dissolve it. 

Tuesday of last week I got a call to say she had had another fall and they were transferring her to the local hospital for assessment. Local hospital rang to say fall was not an issue but her "chunky" cough was. Xrays identified a pneumonia so they started her on some IV antiobiotics. It appears that the DVT had flicked off a clot resulting in a pulmonary embolism leading to part of the lung infarcting (dying) which had caused the pneumonia. We discussed options and the doctor was lovely and said that the treatment they were pursuing was adequate and further invasive tests would only prove what they already suspected and cause her considerable distress as she was already very confused. On the Friday morning I received a call to say she wasn't responding to treatment, her lungs were filling with fluid and her heart was failing. We made the decision to move to end of life care. I told those who were local and able to visit her so they could go and say their goodbyes.

Four hours later one of her close friends rang me to say she had just died. She had two very dear friends with her holding her hands and she was laughing and joking with them 10 minutes before she died. What a way to go - faster than expected, pain free and surrounded by love. Everything she would have wished for.

Over the Easter school holidays we had One and his lot down AND Three and Alice (not at the same time - don't think I could quite handle that!). Mrs Three was with Sally in the US on some dance trip. Alice has been asking when it was going to be her turn to have a holiday in Lakes by herself so I went and picked her up so that on the morning her mum and big sister left, she got to wave goodbye from my car as she went on her own holiday. Not the same as LA but she had fun.


One and his lot enjoyed themselves and are coming down for the King's birthday long weekend. They bring their French bulldog who gets on so well with our two that Murphy pines for her when she goes home! I'll try and get a photo of the three of them together.


The wegovy has done what it was meant to do. I have lost over 20kgs (about 45lbs for non metric folk) and while I can't really see it (body dysmorphia related to a lifetime of eating disorder) I have had to buy a whole lot of new winter clothes and have dropped from a size 20 to a size 14 so I guess something has worked. The best bit? Being able to go out for a meal and not worry about what I am eating (see eating disorder!!) but just enjoy the experience and stop when I've had enough. Like this prawn and hot honey pizza - 




A few weeks ago this amazing cloud formation appeared around sunset. I have no idea what causes it but it looked like the antarctic had drifted north. It only lasted for a few minutes so I was thrilled to be able to see it and capture it.


I think another thing that has kept me away from blogging is the awful things that are happening in the world. When I get overwhelmed with things I can't control I tend to double down and just focus on my small corner of the world. Lots to keep me busy here and I don't have to think about politics, war, and all the other bullshit.

I just keep paddling along.




Think I might hit that publish button!

9 comments:

  1. I am pleased you did hit publish. I've missed you and think about you often. That is a dramatic weight loss. I don't remember you as being skinny, but then I don't remember you as being overweight.
    The cloud formation is amazing.
    While it is sad about your aunt, it was clearly time for her to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your Aunt, but I am so glad she had a peaceful death, something we all hope for.
    I'm glad you hit publish too. I've missed you but I understand too.
    I'm glad the wegovy has helped. It's funny that our bodies evolved to survive famines, and now that we no longer have famines, our bodies need a nudge to get back into balance.
    And you got to spend time with family. All good. Take care sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very glad to see you back and catching up. I think it was your aunt's time, after a lot of suffering, and I'm glad she had a peaceful even cheerful death.
    I need your weaving and knitting catch up too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much has happened for you, and most of it positive. We cannot change world affairs,, but we can manage our own . . . most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you back! I'd check on your blog now and then to see if you were around and I'm glad to see that now you are.

    Those clouds are wild.

    I'm so sorry about your aunt, but as you said, that sounds like not such a bad way to go -- talking to friends and having it happen quickly.

    Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to get caught up on all the happenings in your part of the world. How the grandkids are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Here you are! And I'm so glad.
    I want to shuffle off this mortal coil like your aunt did. What a perfect death. Very few are that lucky.
    Sounds like you've been busy and I hope you've been happy. It's nice that you've had family visiting. I am sure they love being with you in that lovely place you call home now.
    Those clouds- absolutely stunning.
    And congratulations on the weight loss. I've lost about fifty pounds and can definitely tell a difference in many ways. I still think of these drugs as being miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are back! I feel you were the best advocate for your aunt and did a wonderful job. I am glad her passing was easy.
    Congratulations on the weight loss. That is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well hello and welcome back. I’m sorry for your loss.
    More and more I hear stories of doctors just not giving much of a 💩.
    Congratulations on your weight loss journey. That’s a huge dress size drop.

    ReplyDelete