About a month ago I was driving home from work and sat behind a woman smoking in her car and flicking the ash out of the window. A common sight. She then proceeded to toss the still lit butt out of her window onto the road. A (thankfully) much less common site but illegal and reportable. So I reported it. Via the EPA website. Because as I am becoming a grumpy old woman. And the laziness and lack of consideration of people who toss litter from their vehicles drives me up the wall. I have had burning cigarette butts land in my lap when I've been driving and that really pisses me off. And we are in the middle of a drought and HELLO PEOPLE our road side reserves are parched and tinder dry.
Fast forward to this morning.
A letter arrives from the EPA addressed to Himself. I opened it (shutup). SOMEONE was driving a certain blue benz in a named suburb last Friday afternoon and was observed to toss a lit cigarette butt from the window.
*ring ring*
Three: 'sup mum?
Me: Where were you last Friday afternoon?
Three: um
Me: Were you in Main Street in Named Suburb?
Three: Yep
Me: Smoking?
Three: yes
Me: And you tossed your cigarette butt from the car window?
Three: yes
He didn't deny it. He didn't ask me how I knew. I think he realises that whatever he does wrong in his life I will eventually find out. He knows he's not allowed to smoke in the car. And he can no longer pretend he doesn't smoke either (hee!)
I did tell him how I found out and asked how he plans to pay the $215 fine!
I just hope that the woman I reported got a similar letter.
There is no excuse for throwing cigarette butts from your car. If you don't want to stink the car up then don't smoke in it. Simple.
Yup, I agree. Flicking cigarette butts is my pet peeve too! So often I've wanted to report stinky cars or cigarette flickers to the EPA but I always forget to by the time I get to a computer. Ooops!
ReplyDeleteI hate it when people do that! I'm glad you reported that lady. That's really funny that your son got reported too.
ReplyDeleteHow is the new bike going?
Nice work!
ReplyDeleteI hate cigar and cigarette smoke but I DETEST anyone who thinks they have the right to flick their butts out the window! I even know someone who flicks her butts straight into the gutter (because she refuses to smoke in the car, she lights up and finishes just before getting in and driving)!
Ggggrrr... I know it's a free world but so many people have no consideration for the health or safety of others.