Saturday, 28 July 2007

I think I'm getting healthy!!

I got my blood results yesterday. My kidneys are fine. My liver is OK. One enzyme is slightly elevated but I think it's the one that relates to my being overweight. The good thing is that my cholesterol has come down from 8.3 to 4.7! The lowest it's been in years. The medication is obviously working but I'd like to think the diet (as in eating not 'dieting'!) and exercise are contributing. My triglycerides have also fallen dramatically which is great and is definitely related to the aforementioned lifestyle changes. Go me!

Fireman Sam came around on Thursday and I hopped on the scales for the 4 weekly weighin. The ugly old diet monster raised its head for a few hours. I hadn't lost as much as I'd hoped for and bitched and moaned to One about it (who told me to get over it and not weigh myself if that was going to be the reaction etc etc etc!). I reweighed the next morning au naturel and empty and did some sums. I have lost 8.6 kilos in 8 weeks. My body fat % has dropped from 47% 4 weeks ago to 44% (I didn't check it when I started). That means that I have GAINED 1.3 kilos of lean body weight (read: muscle). I have also found that my attitude towards the exercise has shifted slightly from something I MUST do, to something that I just ... do! And enjoy! And miss if I don't do it but don't stress over if I miss a walk or weights session. Because this is for ever. That eerie scream you can hear and that mud coloured blur you can see on the horizon is the ugly diet monster disappearing from my life. I realise that it might try to sneak back but I am ready for it. And I don't need it in my life any more. To the point that I have cleaned my bookcase out of all my dieting books. Goodbye Weightwatchers, Atkins, Southbeach. Farewell Betalife, Dr Phil and all the other self-help diet books. Adios diet recipe books.

I wussed out of golf today. The other two had planned to play (and may still) but we had a fair bit of rain overnight and the local course gets soooooo wet underfoot that even when you're putting you are standing in water! I feel guilty cos we haven't played together for ages but I just don't like being cold and wet. Obviously I'm not a true golfer!!

One and Three have gone to the snow with Fireman Sam and his girlfriend. They left at 4.30 which was a feat in itself as One had a couple (or 15) beers last night with his workmates and I wondered whether he would be able to get up. They have gone snowboarding and I think they will have a great time. We aren't sure what time they will be home so Himself has started a curry in the slow cooker which should be nice and warming for them.

One also trains (remember he wants to join the Fire Brigade?) but hasn't done a lot of late as he has been unwell with the winter bugs and dealing with his breakup with LGF (who has started dating someone else ... YAY!). He has started again this past week which means that the weight plates are on the bar and I need them for MY workouts so Himself and I are off to buy some heavier plates for One and to look at a proper weight bench. Two has been unhappy with the weight he has gained since he has been on the steroids and he has ridden the bike the last couple of days. He actually said he had renewed respect for me when he realised how hard it is! Now I need to get Three and Himself doing some sort of exercise and we will be one fit family.

OK. I've done my 90 minutes on the bike, had my morning coffee and a bowl of porridge (oatmeal for some of you) which I made from rolled oats (not the instant. sweetened stuff) and it was lovely and creamy. Time to go to Sportsmart to check out their weights. And maybe go to Borders to check out some more books.

Have a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I ate the "real" oatmeal a couple of days in a row. The effect on my digestive system was unpleasant, especially for the people I live with. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete