Monday, 11 May 2009

Time flies!


This is why I love living so close to the beach....



I have been trying to upload photos here for a couple of weeks and blogger wouldn't let me so I chucked hissy fits all over the place and wouldn't write anything.  Like the mature adult I am.

The reason I wanted to put some photos up was that finally I was forced into a) finding my camera and b) working out how to get the photos onto my Macbook. Neither of which were hard but ... it meant looking, thinking and doing.

And the reason I was forced into a) and b)?  One's place was flooded out and we needed to take photos for evidence if there is ever an issue.  I doubt there will be as the owner got onto it very promptly and arranged for the developer to fix things.  What happened was that the builders put a snazzy planter box in the open space which is next to their apartment.  Only they didn't seal it properly.  So when we had the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago the planter box filled up and all the water seeped through the wall into their apartment.  Saturating the carpet, soaking the plaster and ruining the floor boards.



So the kids stayed with us for the week while the builders dried out the carpet and generally fixed up other bits.  One says the place still smells damp so I think more work is on the horizon.  They would move but this place is just perfect for them.  Right on the main street with everything they need and want at their door.


*******************************************************

When we moved last year I got rid of a lot of stuff.  Like my old sewing machine that hadn't seen the light of day for over 10 years.  I have taken to cross stitching like a duck to water and want to make cushions and other things.  A friend does beautiful patchwork/quilting (as does Chris) and I decided that I missed my crafty days.  So last week I bought a new Janome sewing machine.  I have also bought a cutting board, a sewing cabinet and couple of quilting books off ebay and can't wait to get started.  Himself has asked me to make him some fleecy tops which means I really need an overlocker as well!!!  And he didn't flinch (much) when I told him.  I went into the local haberdashery places and was overwhelmed with all the STUFF they have these days.  I bought new scissors, pinking sheers, pins, some thread and some poplin to play with.  I am so excited as I have never done any patchwork before and it looks quite complicated.  I was always put off in the past because what I saw looked so "folksy" but the work I have seen of late is just beautiful.  And I have nothing against "folksy" but it ain't me!

Last week Himself was home sick for most of the week and Three is also unwell.  Our family is nothing if not generous and they have shared their bugs with me.  So today I am home feeling sorry for myself and  I may yet take tomorrow and Wednesday off as well.  

And on that note I am going to curl up on the couch with the cats and do some cross stitching and doze.

3 comments:

  1. So.... now you have the machine, and all the necessary bits and pieces to get going.... AND you know how to take a photo and post it on your blog... I EXPECT to see photos of your projects too! So there!
    lol
    Bummer about catching the family bug... hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chooks were in the microwave to detrost mate! They are now in the crock pot..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi me again! LOL
    I explained about the 'technique' for the F/Project on my blog.
    It is so simple really!

    ReplyDelete