My week - it could have been less of a roller coaster ride but I doubt it. There is only so much I can take.
One minute they are telling us that Dad will come home. Then they're saying that he's not safe. And it's the FAMILY that are insisting he come home. We are insisting he come home because we were told that is what would happen, even though concerns were expressed by the family when all this began. So ... 6 weeks ago I was a bitch of a daughter who wanted to dump her parents into care and now we're the irresponsible children who won't admit their father needs to be in care. He is coming home for overnight leave on Saturday and Dr Teacher feels this is to show that he can't succeed. Tomorrow I talk with the Occupational Therapist about her report from last Friday's home visit which, on a heads up from Dr Teacher after speaking to the OT, Dad failed in every respect.
A home visit, for those that don't know, is when an OT comes home with the patient and looks at how the patient functions in the home environment. Dad tried so damn hard to do everything he was required to. The thing with these things is that the OT doesn't know what the functional level was before and, to be honest, Dad did quite well. Considering.
The thing that broke my heart was the way he hurried up the path when he saw my mother, raced (as fast as he could with his frame) to his chair, sat in the chair, raised the feet and turned on the telly. His face was priceless. He was just so happy to be home. He then did his best in the kitchen showing how he'd cook a meal, tried to back his frame into the loo which he's never had to do before but was copying what mum does (she uses a frame) and got in and out of bed. I think he did pretty bloody well.
Every since he was admitted to rehab they have 'acknowledged' his desire to go home. And now they are saying he can't. Sorry. It is inhumane to build someone's hopes up like that to be shattered at the last minute.
So Dad will go home.
For how long? We don't know. But until we get him assessed by the aged care team (something I was told could only be done when he got home) we won't know what level of care he is eligible for. And that dictates what level of community support he's eligible for as well.
I shudder when I think of what people must go through when dealing with similar situations when they have little knowledge of the system.
The word from Himself's company's parent company is that they are shedding staff again. He is understandably worried about losing his job at his age. The chance of finding work is slim. I tell him not to worry until something happens but that is really easier said than done!
To top my week off I found a lump in my right breast a week ago. I saw the doctor on Thursday and had an ultrasound today. All is OK but it's been a stressful week I could have done without.
When life gets difficult I can count on a cat to make me smile. When the dishwasher is on the sink gets warm. Who said cats were dumb?!
It seems to be the season for bad weeks, doesn't it. And I agree, health care professionals all seem to have a standard they judge by, but that doesn't take into account any previous history, does it. Fingers crossed to dad coming home and all working well.
ReplyDeleteGosh, the cat looks comfy. Think I'll come back as a cat....