Whoever wrote that we come into the world mewling, incontinent, incapable of speech and dependent on others and we leave it the same way was right on the money!
Dad came home today and promptly started to do what HE wanted to do regardless of whether he was safe or not. And when challenged got really shitty. He wasn't impressed with the plans made for his medications and told me that everything I was doing was totally unnecessary. That's not to say he's not grateful, but he cannot see that he needs all this support. His insight is severely limited.
Dr Teacher is over there at the moment and I'll get a report from him later tonight. For the first time it's Mum that's actually being sensible and has really risen to the occasion. I just hope that she doesn't overdo it, now, and end up in strife. But at least we will have paperwork for respite care if we need it.
I have told them I'm not going up tomorrow and I've discussed this with Dr Teacher who agrees. If it is necessary for one or the other of us to be there everyday then they are NOT living independently and need to be in residential care. I'm happy to pop up two or three times a week but no more. And for the record, Mum and Dad were adamant I not go over tomorrow. So we shall see how they cope.
Getting old is no fun. I have been told that it's better than the alternative but I sometimes question that, too.
Sorry for the negativity. It's been a hard day capping off a really difficult 6 plus weeks.
"His insight is severely limited"
ReplyDeleteAmazing, isn't it? Same exact thing with my father. He doesn't have dementia, but his judgment and his insight are severely impaired.
Email me if you need to vent, honey. I wish we lived closer.
{{{HUGS}}}.. I hope things settle down with your Dad soon mate.
ReplyDelete