Breakfast and lunch were great. I was a bit concerned about the size of the bread roll for lunch but with cranberry sauce and 2 slices of turkey it was way adequate. Add the green apple and I was a happy cat.
Around afternoon tea time I had a slice of date and walnut cake, toasted. It was OK. I'm not a huge cake eater and was concerned about the lack of butter but it wasn't too dry and was tasty. I had it with a shot of coffee which I chilled and added ice and the remainder of my milk allowance. The coffee balanced the sweetness of the cake nicely.
I also was given some popcorn which I had with a wine tumbler filled with ice, lime slices and soda water. It's very hot here at the moment and this was perfect. And it was the time of day I would have gone looking for wine and chippies or nuts so this really hit the spot.
I didn't take a photo of dinner last night. In the container it actually looked better than the image I posted yesterday (more cheese and sauce) but I put it on a plate and it sort of fell apart ... but to be fair, that happens whenever I cook a meal like that - says more about the person dishing up than the dish itself! We heated in the oven rather than the microwave and I think we got a better result. Some meals are fine heated in the microwave but anything with a cheesy topping really needs the melty brownness only achievable in a proper oven.
As for the taste ... Oh. My. God. It was fantastic. Mr Fussy was delighted with it and is still raving about it this morning. And that says a lot as he loves his mexican food. This one will definitely be on the repeat list.
After dinner I had the peaches which came with breakfast and went to bed feeling satisfied but not over full.
There wasn't much in the way of veges yesterday but looking ahead there are salads in our lunches and veges in our dinners so I am not concerned at this stage. Once we are used to this I will make sure that the evening meal has veges if our lunches don't. But we were both really keen to try the chicken enchiladas!!
Himself and I agree that Day 1 was a winner.
*********************************************
Day Two (Saturday)
After a disgustingly hot night which resulted in little sleep (not a happy place after the barking dog from the night before) we didn't leap out of bed at sparrow's fart to walk the dogs. When I did get up, I put on my walking gear and went down to check on the dogs. It was already very hot but I decided to have my slice of toast and coffee and then take them for a quick walk around the block. Himself got up and went downstairs and came back declaring it too hot. Which means it must be! It's also very windy which neither two nor four footed family members like. If the change comes through without too much rain and wind we will take them later.
My toast was a slice of soy and linseed with some plum jam. Again, not what I would have normally chosen but more than acceptable. After the decision to stay inside I had my bowl of fruit and bran flakes. Again, not a huge serving but, dare I say it, probably what one is meant to eat. I still have a small pot of yoghurt and a fruit salad cup from breakfast. The yoghurt will be interesting as I have read very mixed reviews on a recent change to Lite and Easy's yoghurts.
Lunch is sliced roast chicken breast with crunchy corn salad and garlic lemon vinaigrette followed by tropical crush.
My snacks are an apple and cranberry muffin and some roasted almonds. I shall probably do the same with the muffin and almonds as I did with the cake and popcorn yesterday. The 2 fruit containers and the yoghurt will fit in through the day and one will probably be an after dinner snack.
Dinner tonight (at this stage) is a malay beef curry.
****************************
As it's another scorcher we will be inside most of the day. I did get some work done on the knitted rug and will do some more today. The book club book is nearly finished. It's "The Narrow Road to the Deep North" by Richard Flanagan as was the Man Booker prize winner last year. I have mixed feelings about the book. Initially I hated it but am coming to really enjoy it. It will be interesting to see what the other book club members think about it. Quite a harrowing read but beautifully written.
And on that note I'm off to keep cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment