Thursday, 19 August 2021

Thursday thinking

90 seconds doesn't sound much. But it's enough time to go to the loo and wash your hands and return to the kitchen before the packet of rice has finished microwaving. You're welcome.

Yes, my life has shrunk to this. With all the horrifying news that came in overnight - Afghanistan (that was a waste of 20 years, too many lives and billions of dollars and all for nothing), Covid numbers in NSW out of control, our numbers doubled overnight and the sad death of Sean Lock - I am more than ever inclined to bury my head in the sand and focus on the little things. It's that, or go crazy. OK, more crazy.

We have had a run of gorgeous late winter/early spring weather. August is usually a cold, wet, miserable month but it has given us some lovely days. Himself has been able to get on with replacing the retaining wall thanks to a delivery of timber as we can't visit the hardware store in person. I sit in my craft room/study with the sun streaming in on me and listen to interesting podcasts whilst I weave and knit and read and generally fritter away my time. Things will get better.

On 15th September Amy is being induced so there is another granddaughter to look forward to. Assuming our lockdowns don't get more severe she has asked me to be there as her mother will be recovering from a hysterectomy. Three is quite happy with this so fingers crossed. Not sure how I feel but if it's what she wants I will be there.

Mother in law is ok. The facility have suspended the move into the memory support unit as she is being well managed with 15 minute checks. Staff locate her and redirect her and she seems happy with this. She is now on full assistance with meals as she is unaware if food is in her mouth - she thinks she is eating regardless. This is something I really struggle with as does Himself but we cannot fault the care they are giving her. It's just the progression of this awful disease. She has her annual assessment with a geriatrician on Monday. That could be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I do hope you are not locked down when baby is born. That is incredibly sad about your mother-in-law. Good to know about the rice :) haha... We are only two days into lockdown and I had apple pie. Not a good start.

    ReplyDelete