Friday, 27 May 2022

Food for thought.

 Have you ever wondered what a sesame seed would grow into if you planted it?



I am tempted to try, now.

Pine nuts are not as straight forward as harvesting a pine cone or three.

I heard on the radio that the powers that be are planning to teach less geography. Kids won't be taught about continents, hemispheres, seasons etc. What is the world coming to?

8 comments:

  1. It would seem the world is coming to be unknown about by school children. I don't see not teaching geography as a big problem. I took geography for two years at school and I remember nothing aside from the Australian Ord River Dam Project. Yet now, I am self educated about geography because after finishing school, I found it so interesting and I would certainly perform well now in any geography test. Of course we won't go down the road of YouTube clips and American geographic knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's important kids learn about other countries. Geography also teaches about industry and why it flourishes where it does. And maybe can start to show that although we are different we are all fundamentally the same. I have always loved geography thanks to learning it at school.

      Delete
  2. Well they have stopped teaching history, or the real one anyway
    And now geography so the next generation will make all the same mistakes and will be totally lost while making them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History can be and is rewritten to suit the politics of the time. At least geography stays the same. How sad if kids don't learn about other parts of the world and want to travel to see them. Not just the crap they see on TV.

      Delete
  3. I live in Canada, the citizens of U.S. do not know a lot about our geography. A lot of the subjects which were taught in schools when I was young, are not on the curriculum any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the US teach much about anything beyond their borders. The ignorance of some is gobsmacking.

      Delete
  4. Wonder what they will teach in place of geography, something technological probably. The one thing I remember from geography is that Spain and Portugal together make up the Iberian Peninsula! Like Andrew I know a lot about geography from self study and travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will focus on the measurable subjects so we can compete with the rest of the world. Geography isn't measurable apparently.

      Delete