Monday, 5 December 2022

A cake in pictures.

Trusty recipe book

The recipe ... and the substitute for sherry.



Fruit, liqueur, sugar, mixed spice and butter. Waiting to melt and then boil.

And here it is bubbling away.


While it cooled I prepared the tin


and weighed and sifted the flours.


Eggs, marmalade, more liqueur and the flours ready and waiting



Mixing in the wet ingredients

and then adding the flours.



Whoops, nearly forgot to take a pic after it was poured into the pan


2 hours in a 160C oven - no fan forcing here, this is an old recipe book.


And she is out. A bit more liqueur drizzled on the top then covered with foil and left to cool.
 


If the smell of the house is anything to go by, it will be delicious. 

It reminds me of a poor kid pulled over for a random breath test and registered alcohol when he was on a 0.0 licence. He had had some of his girlfriend's Nona's tiramisu.

I doubt we will get to try it anytime soon as it is taking a long time to cool down. Himself has a rather strange interpretation of cool and reckons it's good to go now! Maybe a late night nibble.

I will report back tomorrow. 

It was so easy to make and I will definitely be making more fruit cakes.

And I am a bit embarrassed  to say that it was only very recently that I realised that what I made today was in fact a 'boiled fruit' cake as opposed to a boiled 'fruit cake'! 





If you eat my fruit cake, then drive, you're a bloody idiot.




14 comments:

  1. I’ve got some of those books out in the laundry- I did give some away a while ago (the dinner party ones I think). I had so many - seemed to buy them each time one was released. Must have a look at what are left.
    Anyway I remember fondly the boiled fruit cake I used to make years ago - the one where you mixed everything in the saucepan then bunged in the cake tin. A packet of dried fruit plus other things including bicarb. The kids loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one didn't have bicarb but I did do everything in the pan. Bonus!
      I, too, had so many of the cookbooks. I got rid of a lot of them and now regret it as they gave a real insight into the 70s and 80s.

      Delete
  2. Oh and we need a blog post telling the story of The Snake who ate a Frog…..plus other memories…please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall delve into the dusty compartments of my brain and see what I can dig out!

      Delete
  3. Yes, I see the distinction between boiled fruit cake. It isn't like a Christmas pudding. I am sure the slightly warm cake will be delicious tonight, with a better crust formed tomorrow when cold. You could just put it outside to quickly cool it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could eat some of your fruitcake. And now I understand the "boiled" part which I never did before.
    I wrapped my fruitcakes up with a little rum-soaked cheese cloth and aluminum foil for Christmas and my husband keeps asking when we're going to cut them. "Christmas!" I tell him. He's disappointed every time because I haven't changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Rum soaked cheesecloth. I think fruit cake will be on the regular baking roster here.

      Delete
  5. No rushing these things. This one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake reminds me of mum. I'm sure it will be delicious, well, delicious if you like fruitcake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit cake is one of those things you like or not. And it has to be rich and moist. Nothing worse than a dry fruit cake. Unless you hate fruit cake then nothing worse than any fruit cake, I guess!

      Delete
  7. OOOOh that looks delicious. I should look for a recipe for one as it looks so easy. Is it cooled yet. My M-I L used to eat a slice of cheese with her fruit cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese and fruit cake is a very English thing. It must be a sharp cheddar to counteract the sweetness of the cake.
      It was very easy so just ask if you can't find a recipe.

      Delete
  8. Ohhhh it sounds scrumptious.
    I can imagine the smell.
    I think I’d be like your hubby and want to dry it sooner rather than later.
    If it’s still warm, add some vanilla ice cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did try it while it was a bit warm and it wasn't easy to cut. But the taste was awesome!

      Delete