Wednesday, 7 December 2022

Boiled Fruit Cake (with anonymous' boozy tip)

Pat asked for the recipe for the fruit cake.  I photographed the page from the recipe book. Our cups and tablespoons are slightly different but shouldn't make a difference (according to the blurb in the back of the recipe book!). A moderately slow oven is 160*C and 325*F reduce if you are using fan forced. I didn't use it and the cake turned out beautifully. I used the homebrand mixed fruit from Coles. I swapped the sherry for the liqueur and used it instead of water (just added a splash extra water when mixing the wet ingredients and dry together.) All up I probably used just over a cup of liqueur.


And here it is after it had cooled down. I wish you could smell it!


Today was the Men's Shed Christmas lunch. It was really lovely to see the blokes that helped us with our projects. Two women from our Women in Workshops course came along. I would have gone anyway as a wife (first time I was invited!) and there were quite a few wives there. I got to meet another wife who is into craft and we spent the entire time comparing photos of our various projects! I have found another craft group for next year. I think I will try this and give the other a break. 

The only downside was the volume of the music. They had live entertainment which would have been great if the acoustics were better but all they really needed was some background music. It made it hard to chat. The meal was adequate but for $20 no one would complain. I was anxious about going but am glad I did.

Now I really need to think about Christmas presents for the family. The grandkids have so many toys and books but aren't quite old enough to appreciate the joy of a gift card and shopping for yourself.

The mermaid rang last night and we will be spending Christmas afternoon with her again. This has become our new tradition and it is lovely. E's fiancé's father and partner will be there which will change the dynamic a bit but it will still be lovely to sit and catch up. I will bake bread rolls that morning and a fruit cake early in the week.

The boys and their families here on Christmas Eve and my brothers and their wives one day after Christmas and that is it for festivities chez merlot. 


14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. There’s a bit of everything in it isn’t there.
    I hear you on the breakups, one I have an invitation to has listed a jazz band as entertainment. Now that’s going to be noisy if it’s trad not modern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it's in a venue designed for loud music. Unlike the community hall at a local retirement village!!

      Delete
  2. Sparkling, being a recent reader could you please fill me in on the mermaid and E etc. (I’ve just got my fourth fruit cake out of the oven, out of Womens Weekly Cakes & Slices book, circa 1980ish I’m thinking, I make Favourite Boiled Fruit Cake, bit expensive as it has brandy and glacé apricots and pineapple as well, but delicious). Marie, Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I will nut out a post and try to remember everyone and their pseudonyms I've given them over the years. One of my favourite AWW books is the Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you'll be busy over Christmas. I do love the smell of fruitcake, just not the eating of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next year I am going to attempt a Jamaican black cake. A friend sent me one once and I've been craving it ever since.
    Your Christmas sounds quite busy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you have to share what a Jamaican black cake is. I am not going to google it!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much, will get all the ingredients I don't have in the house at the moment, so I can make it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Question about the recipe - what did you use for the mixed fruit? I expect raisins, currants, dried apricots that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here you can buy a pack of mixed fruit which is pretty much what you describe. You could make your own to the quantity but it could get expensive!

      Delete
  7. I might try and make this but maybe not for the kids. Definitely an adults only cake.
    I’m glad you went to the Christmas do. It’s nice to get out. Even if we stress and have panic attacks before hand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could use fruit juice but where's the fun in that?!

      Delete