Sally was dropped off yesterday evening. She was still a bit tired from the busy weekend with the wedding and everything. She sang with the band, danced in front of everyone and didn't go to bed til 11 O'CLOCK, Granny. She slept with her other grandparents in their caravan. Three and Amy had to contend with Alice waking screaming at 3 in the morning. As did everyone else who was staying in cabins as they were basically made of cardboard and the size of a large shoebox. I don't get the current attitude that kids are just mini adults and can be taken everywhere including fancy weddings with loud music, a lot of alcohol and poorly thought through sleeping arrangements. But then I AM the old grumpy woman.
Anyway, back to Sally. She had chicken nuggets and pasta alfredo (from a packet) for dinner followed by icecream with chocolate topping and sprinkles. Then a bath ...
Tucked up in bed, fast asleep.
We did have an episode at 2.45am where she woke with a sore tummy (anxiety - she was homesick in case anyone was judging my menu) but cuddles with granny, a poo and sending granny back to her own bed and she was right as rain.
We had a quiet day in light of the busy weekend. I just let her dictate what we did which was very little. Games on Granny's computer, watching telly, baking a cake using this recipe:
which was ok but surprisingly could have been sweeter. Then I remembered he was using American ice cream and everything is sweeter in America (take that as you will!). I will try it again and use a strawberry icecream and see how it goes. The texture was really good.
She has had a wobbly tooth for a while. I asked her to show it to me. I was wiggling it and it came out. No pain and no blood. Thank god she didn't swallow it. I am not sure how the tooth fairy manages those teeth.
She then decided to help me with my code cracker. She has been itching to have a go so I deciphered the letters and she filled them in. She was very proud of herself.
Dropped her off at dance and mum will have picked her up from there.
I think I have mentioned how bad our potholes are especially on country roads. When the Mermaid and I went away we knew when we were in Victoria because of the sudden deterioration in the roads.
This town has taken things into their own hands. And good on them.
It is now time for a well earned adult beverage. Himself has gone to a local meet the politicians event. I pity the pollies.
Dinner is from the freezer. I just need to cook some rice which I will go and do now so when he gets home it looks as if I have been productive!





I’m glad she felt better eventually.
ReplyDeleteA restful day with granny is the best medicine I say.
Enjoy your dinner and drink
We grandmothers are superheroes!
DeleteYou did well, Granny. Mini adults? Ridiculous. They are children. And to quote R, they are not friends of their parents and parents should not treat them as their 'friends'. Perhaps in adult years they can become friends of parents, but I am doubtful. There needs to be mutual respect for roles in life.
ReplyDeleteI think turning the pothole into a mini garden is a great idea. Better than sticking an orange witch's hat at the pothole. Mullholland is an idiot if he thinks inner city potholes are quickly fixed. He is just playing politics.
If my parents went out at night to an event or a neighbour visit, we would be in our pyjamas and asleep on a mattress in the back of the station wagon by 8pm or in the neighbour's bed. We'd be woken and quickly go back to sleep in the car or once home. My views are from a different time but still, I think I am right in early to bed and routine for children is the right way to go.
I agree with you completely regarding routine, Andrew.
DeleteMy kids and I have a bit more of an adult friendship relationship but I can still strike the fear of god into them with a look or tone of voice!
I loved Dylan cooking, especially his sense of humour. The cake sounds good but I'm too cheap to use good ice cream like that:)
ReplyDeleteI think kids need routine but Jack's other family doesn't feel the same way so he's often overtired when he comes back to us.
I like how the residents in Melbourne dealt with their potholes. The same thing happened in Toronto. It's amazing what public shaming will do to move things ahead.
His sense of humour cracks me up. I didn't use the most expensive ice cream, maybe I should have!
DeleteI think there are many ways to raise children but the main reason for them to have an early-ish bedtime is so that the adults can finally sit down and be adults for awhile. And of course, kids do need plenty of sleep.
ReplyDeleteI am all for kids being invited to special occasions as a treat if it's suitable but this was NOT kid friendly. The band was set up right next to the cardboard cabins so even if you had wanted to put a child down (like they did with alice) you had no hope of them falling asleep.
DeleteLove the way you think about kids not being mini adults. there are places not suitable for small children, decent bedtimes and schedules are important for them.
ReplyDeleteAlso, do not agree with dressing them up as if they are adults, They do not need high heel shoes, and makeup. Not making this up, I have observed little girls like this.
Granny, you did good, I miss those days I had with my grands, many a time they had too much "non healthy" food.
Enjoy it while you can, believe me they grow up too fast.
Thank you, Pat. Sally wears makeup for her dance concerts and I find that disconcerting enough. High heels? God help me!
DeleteWhat happens at Granny's stays at Granny's! And she will ask for an apple as often as a chocolate biscuit.
Makes me smile. 11pm. Totally different culture. Toddlers are often still tearing around well after midnight at a summer wedding in Greece.
ReplyDeleteYou have a totally different lifestyle! I am sure the kids tearing around at the summer wedding will get the chance to sleep the next day. This lot had to be up and on the road early to get home from the camp site.
DeleteThere are some cultures where every event is a family event, so kids are always there. But I think they probably doze off anywhere sooner or later. I don't think children should be dressed in uncomfortable adult style clothes. They should be able to move.
ReplyDeleteI love those cultures. But even they treat kids as kids. It's the current mentality here among so many to assume a child has the reasoning of an adult.
DeleteThe plants in the pothole gave me a good laugh! We get lots here after the winter freeze and thaw but none that big!
ReplyDeleteDo yours get fixed? Our government is very slow at that. To the point that they were talking about reducing the speed limit on country roads because of the state of disrepair.
Delete