No photos today.
I am sure you are getting sick of blue skies, deep blue water, sunshine sparkling on the waves, boats, birds, etc.
We did the usual block visit and catch up with Jo, our new neighbour who is building around the corner from us. It is nice to have someone to share the angst of building with and I think she appreciates someone to talk to as well. I might suggest a coffee next time I see her. She talks 19 to the dozen but I think she is a bit lonely and grabs any chance to chat.
We then walked along the foreshore and stopped in to one of our favourite coffee places for coffee and a muffin. The dogs know they get something and sit staring at the table drooling! When I was inside ordering a woman came up and asked me if she could go and say hello to our dogs. This happens so often!
Today was a lovely sunny day and the town was very busy. A glimpse, I guess, of the warmer holiday weather to come. The school holidays start in a couple of weeks and I am sure they will be busier than the last ones. It is lovely to see people enjoying the town and I hope it helps to repair the damage caused by the closures doing Covid.
We decided on lamb backstraps for dinner and went to the butcher. They were closed. Next stop the fish shop. Ditto. I keep forgetting that we live in the country and the only thing to really stay open after midday on a Saturday is the supermarket!
We went to check out the Bowlo and joined up ($5 for the year) and we will go there for dinner this evening. It seems a bit nicer than the club we joined the other week but that venue will be good for Chinese food when we have a hankering, and their playground seems a bit better when we have visitors. I got a free drink voucher and a $20 meal voucher in recognition of an upcoming birthday. Win, win. And speaking of winning, we will, of course, be following Andrew's guaranteed wealth creation, and invest a few dollars in the pokies. The Bowls club also has a courtesy bus which means we can be picked up and dropped home if we (ie Himself) ever feel likes having more than a couple of drinks! We were advised to book for a Saturday night well in advance. And we were also advised to book for dinner tonight. I think we will see an interesting cross section of Lakes Entrance Old Folk (of which we are part!). Who knows, we might even learn to play bowls!
Next week I will get in touch with the real estate agents that handle our rental and are also selling it and put the feelers out for another rental. Much as I hate the idea of moving I think the stress will be less if we know we don't have to be out by 4th June next year. Assuming any new rental isn't sold from under us. The government seems to think that taxing owners of rental properties and considering fixing rent is a good way to keep people housed. All I can see is investors selling their rental properties which means people like Three will be really struggling to find a place to live. It will inconvenience us but we are not totally dependent on the rental market for a house. Not everyone can afford a mortgage so renters need rental properties. But those who inhabit the ivory towers of government would have no idea of the grass root struggles.
Right. Off my high horse, off to slap on a face and get changed and off to dinner.
Your blue skies and sparkling waters are wonderful. I love seeing onto your life.
ReplyDeleteYou have blue skies and sparkling water, too!
DeleteIt's interesting to read about the politics of housing where you live. Renting will always be vital, too bad to choke it off.
ReplyDeleteThe great Australian dream (and expectation) is home ownership which is fine but not everyone can afford the mortgages. The govt thinks that by forcing landlords into a position where they sell, this will someone how make it easier for people to enter the home owners market.
DeleteThese clubs are quite foreign to me. For one thing, I don't think we have them here. For another- I have vowed to never join anything with the word "club" in it. Of course this is mostly because I can't deal with too many people at once around me.
ReplyDeleteThey are really just like a pub. But you probably don't have them, either!
DeleteNot really!
DeleteIt sounds like you're settling in, but it's a bummer you'll have to move again. (Your current rental is being sold, as I understand it?) Personally, I never tire of pictures of blue sky and water. :)
ReplyDeleteWe are hoping we won't have to move but are being realistic. I shall endeavour to get some more photos for you today.
DeleteYour going to be local before you know it. Shopping at the supermarket will take you all day!
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to that.
DeleteYou're immersing yourself deeply in local culture now.
ReplyDeleteIf investors want to leave the property investment market for reasons as you suggest, they will want to sell. Then what happens? Economics predict a larger supply of housing on the market should see prices drop... and there my brain stalls. Some economic modelling might be interesting to look at.
Anyone with any common sense thinks like you do, Andrew. And then there is our governents.
DeleteLamb backstraps! How long is it since I heard about those?
ReplyDeleteI think those living in the ivory towers should have to do a mandatory year at grass roots level without access to their perks and bank accounts. Let them live on what they make in menial jobs or what they get from centrelink. Then they'll know.