Sunday, 3 December 2023

Blue Skies!!

For the first time in days I woke to the sounds of birds. Obviously they didn't like all that rain either!

We took the dogs for a walk along the foreshore. The market was cancelled late yesterday. Rain notwithstanding, the ground underfoot was so wet and soggy it would have been a quagmire with all the cars and foot traffic that I doubt it would have recovered any time soon. Such a shame.

Swans!!


I have no idea what this plant is but is has bean like fruits and apple like fruits. Very strange. Looks poisonous to me! Not that I would know. Maybe it is some healthy bush tucker but something in the deep recesses of my brain say that bean like fruits are poisonous. 



These are the swan family that hatched a couple of months ago. There have been conflicting reports that the mate was killed. There was only one today but that is not uncommon. They seem to share the care.


The surf has been pounding the beaches for days and the rivers have been flooding and all that water empties into the lakes and then out through the Entrance. You can see how discoloured the ocean is. I imagine it is mainly sand. I haven't been to the beach yet to see how much, if any, has been washed away. Maybe tomorrow when the threat of rain has well and truly passed.


 

9 comments:

  1. My plant ID app says that your plant there is an Australian Blackwood which makes sense. And you are right- it is toxic if eaten by humans!
    Still raining here a little but I expect that like with your skies- ours will turn blue again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a small shrub whereas blackwood is a tree but maybe it is a baby tree. I shall go and investigate more. Thank you for checking. I knew you'd come through!

      Delete
  2. I'm very glad Mary came in with her handy app, because I had no clue about the plant. I expect birds like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall do more investigating. If it is blackwood they are a much sought after tree for their timber.

      Delete
  3. It was lovely to see the sun and blue sky
    Unfortunately here we have more rain forecast for Wednesday.
    So a busy few days washing and drying laundry for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good drying weather today. Our next wet is next weekend at this stage but who knows.

      Delete
  4. I hope the other swan parent shows up! I've never heard of an Australian blackwood. That's a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some beautiful native timbers that make wonderful furniture.

      Delete
  5. Sad that storms wash away so much of the sand and it takes a long time to drift back in.

    ReplyDelete