Saturday, 9 December 2023

Still a bit grumpy*



I know I have shown you this song before. This version was released for the 40th anniversary of the original in September this year. It features The Waifs along with Redgum and  they add a unique twist to an already poignant piece. The accompanying video clips contain new content as well. 

It just continues to bring home how bloody stupid war is. Sadly, we will never learn.



I have wasted spent the day faffing around on the computer. It is damp and cold and I cannot say enough how much I hate this time of year. It could be warm and sunny and I would still hate this time of year. 

Humanity sucks.







* very grumpy

15 comments:

  1. Have you read The Odd Angry Shot (William Nagle) - if not, try and get hold of a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title rings a bell but I thing I need to read it again if indeed I read it in the first place.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I really want to listen to this but the repeat of Anika is on tv. Bedtime tablet viewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watched now and it is terrific production but it is hard to beat the rawness of the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the introduction of new footage. The original always makes me cry.

      Delete
  4. I like Charlie Brown there! I think this is a season of irritation towards all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Powerful. And of course I think of my friend Ross who died almost a year ago.
    Fuck war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one in particular was just a pissing competition between 2 major powers and the innocents got caught in the cross fire.

      Delete
  6. I love those two comic strips. We DO have some pretty severe flaws as humans, I agree! Fortunately most of us work to overcome them -- but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That song has always struck deep. So many stupid wars so many young men and women dead before their times, or worse wounded in mind body and spirit
    The fallout affecting generations This is what happens when children are taught to hate because of religious beliefs, diffences in ideologies
    Or just brought up to keep the anger for past deeds.
    It all has to stop
    Then there is the whole megalomaniacs running countries, war mongering for profit and just plane greed
    I’m just glad I’m old now and I’ll be dead soon. But I worry for the future generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was American waving it's mighty fist against the evil Communist Russia. Vietnam was the sacrifice because, god forbid, they fight on their own land.

      Delete
  8. "I was only 19"? Not listening. I don't like wars but I have heard far too much of that song and maybe he was only 19, but he wasn't the only one. My ex was 19 and came home a few months before I met him and I am sure there were others. They all suffered just as much I'd say and perhaps the song makes people more aware, but I never want to hear it again.

    ReplyDelete