I have had a lovely break from everything with the Mermaid staying for a few days. I have avoided the internet (didn't want to be rude) and it has been quite refreshing.
Remember the sparkling wine with the gold leaf?
I have mentioned that there is a carnival in town. This is a bit blurry but you get the idea.
On Thursday night when the Mermaid arrived we had fresh fish from the co-op that I cooked at home. We then wandered down to the carnival, paid our $2 entry fee and mosied around the place. The ferris wheel looks even better up close.
We weren't tempted to go on any rides but had a great time watching the children trying to look brave and listening to the screams of the older kids as they went on this (photo pinched from the interweb).
Every morning the Mermaid would get up and go for a long (in my book) walk and a wander around the shops. I would meet her at 10ish and we would have a coffee and a bit more of a look in the shops. Something I don't do with Himself.
On Friday we went to Orbost and then on to Marlo and Cape Conran. The drive took us beside the Snowy River which, due to the Snowy Mountain Hydro scheme, is no longer the mighty river is used to be way back in the day. This time, however, due to the amount of rain and flooding we have had, it was very full albeit very brown.
Cape Conran was wild and beautiful. I plan to take Sally back when she comes down in late January. She will love exploring the rock pools.
On Friday evening we went to the Bowls Club for dinner which, as always, was lovely.
When I was down with the Mermaid in June we had lunch at the Metung pub and I took Other Brother and Fave sis in law there when they were down before Christmas.
I managed to get a booking for 1.30 on Saturday which was pretty lucky at this time of year.
As we were getting ready to leave Three rang to thank us for helping out with the costs of Alice's upcoming operation. We chatted about what we had been doing with the Mermaid and then headed off to Metung with visions of seafood platters dancing in our heads.
When we got to Metung we turned the corner to the pub and there were Three and his family. The cheeky buggers and driven down for the day to surprise us as they hadn't seen us over Christmas and they wanted us to see Alice before her surgery so we can compare the difference.
When we got to Metung we turned the corner to the pub and there were Three and his family. The cheeky buggers and driven down for the day to surprise us as they hadn't seen us over Christmas and they wanted us to see Alice before her surgery so we can compare the difference.
We convinced them to stay the night and gave them our house keys. They needed to get pjs and undies and other essentials so went to Bairnsdale and met us back at home after we had the most amazing seafood lunch.
They had fish and chips for dinner (we were full as googs so declined to join them) and then we went down to the carnival with two small children in tow - which is what a carnival should be about.
I didn't take many photos as I was too busy laughing at Sally's look of sheer terror on this ...
... and Alice's look of pure joy as she went on the small rides that go round and round.
Sally was very keen to go on that ride but as she had never been on one before found the sensations of going up and down quickly rather disconcerting. She was seated between himself and a lovely man who both put their hand on her knee when she was screaming! The family next to us also found the spectacle quite amusing.
Of course, once she was off the ride and calmed down she declared she wanted to do it again.
Instead we went on the ferris wheel and even then you can see her look of trepidation as it began ...
Once she realised it wasn't going to drop and spin she relaxed and enjoyed the spectacular views.
The Lakes Entrance Aqua Park - a sort of bouncy castle on water that will require Dad if she wants to go on it!
Another stunning sunset from a different perspective.
She had a go on a bungee trampoline and the bloke in charge was so good with her. She mastered the back flip in no time but was determined to do the front flip which is very difficult - especially when you are small and light. He gave her so much help and way longer than the time we paid for but she did it and was so proud of herself. Blokes like that make carnivals such good value for families and create such lovely memories.
After getting home and putting two exhausted girls to bed we sat up chatting til quite late.
It was a wonderful surprise.
They left the next morning and I met the Mermaid for our usual morning coffee and walk.
After a bit of a drive in search of somewhere to have a cold beer (on New Year's Eve on a warm day in a seaside resort) we decided a gin and tonic on the balcony was the wiser option! It was perfect weather. Clear blue skies, warm sunshine and a cool breeze. I commented to the Mermaid that morning as we sat by the water with our coffee that there would be many a burnt body by the end of the day.
After enjoying the afternoon, chatting with the neighbours (who gave me a bit of history about this house - fodder for another blog entry when I have nothing) and a cuppa on the balcony we headed into town for the NYE festival.
The police presence was amazing.
I counted at least 6 public order response vehicles, that many and more marked and unmarked police cars, a mobile lock up and later on there were four police horses patrolling as well. I can only guess there have been incidents in the past.
We had a look at the twilight market, bought some Turkish street food and sat on a wall near the water listening to a band and people watching.
There were groups of teenage boys posturing and preening like peacocks in front of groups of teenage girls. I wonder if they really thought nobody would guess their heavy duffle bags didn't contain bathers and towels but rather cans of alcohol cunningly and illegally obtained.
I guess there might be a reason for the police presence after all.
The place got busier as families arrived and set up all over the foreshore to wait for the 9.30 family firework display.
Nature gave us a stunning display of her own.
As the crowds got bigger and my anxiety ramped up we decided to return to the comfort of our own balcony to watch the fireworks.
Himself returned to the hoards as he is a glutton for punishment.
The Mermaid and I watched the display with a glass of wine in our hands and an uninhibited view.
There was a mass exodus after the fireworks as families returned from whence they came - not, obviously, all staying in Lakes.
It took Himself a ridiculous amount of time to get home.
We watched the midnight fireworks, saw in 2024 and sat up til 2 just chatting. Not our usual NYE but just lovely to spend it with a friend.
The next morning the Mermaid forwent her usual walk and we went into town for a juice instead of coffee. The place was so quiet! Apparently there had been a few incidents but nothing major that we were aware of. There were groups of volunteers cleaning up the inevitable detritus. It always saddens me that people can't/won't use bins and think it funny to smash bottles and leave cigarette butts everywhere. The Shire had supplied dozens of extra rubbish bins (and portable loos as well) but there is always those who are too lazy/entitled to use them (the bins, not the loos - I hope).
The community spirit in this small town never ceases to surprise me and makes me so glad we chose to live here. It far outweighs the careless locals and the ignorant tourists.
We bade farewell to the Mermaid and she drove back to Melbourne.
Remember those people who were destined to get badly burnt?
I am one of them. No hat, no sunscreen, enjoying a perfect sunny day with a cool breeze.
This isn't all of it but it is a burnt, blistered and about to peel nose and burnt and blistered lips. My forehead, neck and ears are also very red and painful. Lesson learned - the hard way!
HAPPY 2O24 EVERYONE!


























Wow you were busy.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you enjoyed your New Years
I got sunburnt just watering the garden the other day. All around the neck as my tshirt was baggy and I had my hair up
I can't believe I was so stupid. My nose and lips are peeling!
DeleteWow! That was a LOT! I'm so glad you and the Mermaid got some special time for the two of you. That is so important. And then to have the family show up! What a surprise! Your mind must have reeled at the sight of them. "What? What? How?"
ReplyDeleteIt's just terrific how much you are enjoying your new home. You absolutely made the right decision..
It's only been 6 months but it feels like forever.
DeleteYou sound as if you had a lovely visit with your friend and also family during the holiday season.
ReplyDeleteHope your sunburn is feeling better, only time seems to be the cure.
Happy New Year.
As an ex cancer nurse I am always telling people to be careful in the sun. I am feeling a tad foolish right now!
DeleteWell that was a busy visit! Funny how kids get so terrified on rides and then immediately want to do them again. Every time I hear of the Snowy River I think of "The Man from Snowy River," which I remember seeing when it came out back in the early '80s.
ReplyDeleteMy brother and sister in law sung in the choir that did the soundtrack for that movie!
DeleteThe mighty Snowy is not what is was but we do benefit from the power it now generates.
Happy 2024. It reads that you have a very good Christmas and New Year, and what a nice family surprise.
ReplyDeleteThe Aqua Park looks so interesting.
Yes, we should know better but even the best of us can get caught out by the sun.
I like the tide out photo before the fireworks photos.
I think that is my favourite, too. I didn't realise until I looked at it later as I just turned around to snap what was behind us.
DeleteForgot the sunscreen didn't you! Tsk. I hope it isn't too painful.
ReplyDeleteThe visit and NYE sounds wonderful. I saw some of the world fireworks displays on the TV news the next evening.
That carnival ride looks quite scary and I am surprised young children are allowed on it. Shouldn't they have an age limit? Aqua Park looks like fun though.
No sunscreen or hat. Silly me.
DeleteThe rides have height restrictions, some have age and many have to have an adult. Isn't being scared part of the fun? I have never understood that. Nor watching scary movies.
What a great long account! I guess you got carried away, forgetting hat, sunscreen, everything! Oh well, next time.
ReplyDelete