Not much happening here. Just the usual day to day stuff.
We applied for the aged pension as we have had to dip into our super a bit with this house and had dipped below the threshold for a part pension. Or so we thought. We were knocked back and the letter said it was because we had over $2million in assets. That would have been nice if we did but, sadly, nowhere near that! On Friday we toddled off to the local Service Australia office (it was easier to make an appointment than speak to someone over the phone) clutching all our paperwork and it appears that someone mis-keyed our data and doubled up our super balances. Hopefully we will hear back from them soon and can start the pension again. The pension won't be much but the benefits like rates reduction, car registration, power bills and medical stuff will be a big help.
We applied for the aged pension as we have had to dip into our super a bit with this house and had dipped below the threshold for a part pension. Or so we thought. We were knocked back and the letter said it was because we had over $2million in assets. That would have been nice if we did but, sadly, nowhere near that! On Friday we toddled off to the local Service Australia office (it was easier to make an appointment than speak to someone over the phone) clutching all our paperwork and it appears that someone mis-keyed our data and doubled up our super balances. Hopefully we will hear back from them soon and can start the pension again. The pension won't be much but the benefits like rates reduction, car registration, power bills and medical stuff will be a big help.
On the VCAT front (the issue with the carpet at the rental) we got notice from VCAT saying the landlord has until the 10th to provide VCAT and us with documentation supporting her claim and we have until the 17th to provide our side of the story (which is simple - the carpet is old). I managed to contact her ex-husband and he said the carpet was laid in 1985 so I think we're ok there. She has to provide the reports she claims to have had done although I wouldn't put it past her to get a mate to dodgy one up. Himself wants to give way more information than I think is necessary as I feel the less the better - the carpet is old; that is all that matters. Anyway, it gives Himself something to do so I shall let it go.
Three sent me this ...
I mentioned my bin stickers. Here they are ...
I am still sewing strips of fabric together to weave into place mats ...
... the pile doesn't seem to be getting any smaller. It reminds me of the magic pudding.
Yesterday the Mermaid successfully bid on a unit. It's been at least two years that she has been looking and after she sold her house earlier this year (the new owners have kept her on as a tenant) she kept losing out on so many places. I think it is because she was reluctant to spend what was necessary. Yesterday her son and daughter in law were there and convinced her to go beyond her planned highest bid and she got it. It's brand new and in a great location so she did very well.
We have had a lot of rain lately interspersed with sunshine so everything is growing really well. My tomatoes are growing so fast I'm sure if I sat and looked at them long enough I would see them grow. Yesterday I planted lettuce and radish seeds and some chives, coriander, basil and capsicum seedlings. Today Himself dug up the tree we planted at the front of the house that is dying. Once he removed it the hole filled up with water so I am hoping that some dry soil in a pot will help if it isn't too late. Now we have to work out how to fix the water problem. It could be an underground spring of which there are many around here, or just heavy clay soil that doesn't allow the recent rain to drain away. Or a pipe has been damaged. Something else to keep the old man busy.
We have had a lot of rain lately interspersed with sunshine so everything is growing really well. My tomatoes are growing so fast I'm sure if I sat and looked at them long enough I would see them grow. Yesterday I planted lettuce and radish seeds and some chives, coriander, basil and capsicum seedlings. Today Himself dug up the tree we planted at the front of the house that is dying. Once he removed it the hole filled up with water so I am hoping that some dry soil in a pot will help if it isn't too late. Now we have to work out how to fix the water problem. It could be an underground spring of which there are many around here, or just heavy clay soil that doesn't allow the recent rain to drain away. Or a pipe has been damaged. Something else to keep the old man busy.
Three and I have been sharing gin cocktail recipes. I recently tried an elderflower collins and it is delicous. Might just go and make one now!





Missed you. Penguin.
ReplyDeleteWe need to arrange to meet!
DeleteDefinitely before Xmas. Coffee? Penguin.
DeleteI'm sure we can manage that.
DeleteThose bin stickers are fantastic.
ReplyDeleteThere were so many to choose from. I need more bins!
DeleteBin stickers? Who knew! I'm glad to see your current wip. Did you get much into pinloom weaving, and your rigid heddle?
ReplyDeleteI will definitely do more pin loom weaving. The fabric strips are for the rigid heddle. I need to get them done (it's warped for them) as I have so much yarn I want to weave with.
DeleteIt is so good to hear from you, dear Ms. Merlot. I, for one, have missed you. Sounds like life is just carrying on, the good, the bad, and the extremely darling photo of a grandchild.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ms Moon. Somedays time runs away and others I have nothing to say! That grandkid is a bit special.
DeleteGlad you're doing well.
ReplyDeleteIt's been a big 18 months but things are settling down.
DeleteOoooh, an elderflower collins! That sounds yummy. I got elderflower tonic water in my most recent gin club box, and it makes a great G&T!
ReplyDeleteHope you're able to save the tree, and I hope the carpet dispute is resolved in your favor!
Great to see you back in blogland!
Passing that threshold where you can receive concessions is important and makes such a difference. The best thing that could happen is the owner realises she is on a road to nowhere and won't submit anything by the deadline. I love the bin stickers. I wonder if MW will on bin day. Water drainage problems are not great.
ReplyDeleteIt’s getting harder and harder to get money from the government. I hear people say it’s a hand out. It isn’t! We paid tax all our lives. We deserve something back. If you can at least get the benefits card you’ll be doing ok. Love to see pictures of your new gardens
ReplyDeleteLove the bin stickers! From the big green warehouse?
ReplyDelete