We sent the paperwork off to VCAT on Tuesday. I hope we haven't clouded the issue with too much information (Himself and I have different ideas on what was necessary - me less, him more, I think we reached a compromise). I would love to show you what our submission was but, hey, the internet isn't the most private place to share stuff! Now we wait. To be honest, we really aren't too fussed as we will abide by whatever the VCAT dude decides. It was more a case of letting the agent and landlord know we know that they are lying. And as the wise Ms Moon said, we know ... they know ... just let it go.
Yesterday I drove for three hours to catch up with my brothers and their wives for Christmas. Himself didn't come. He was invited but long time readers will know that my husband and a brother and a sister in law aren't a good mix and I really didn't need that shit so I used the dogs as an excuse. I enjoyed the drive by myself although Google maps decided that the middle of a dirt road was my destination! It took me probably 20 minutes out of my way but I found Dr Teacher's place without calling for help. We had a lovely couple of hours and then I drove three hours home. I went the exact same way up and back but home seemed to take less time. Maybe the road was familiar or something.
Of course this gives you no idea of distance but it was just over a 500km round trip.
Himself's recent trip to Melbourne was to see the ophthalmologist who prescribed eye drops for a condtion that can only really be resolved with a corneal transplant so we will avoid that for now. I arrived home last night to a husband with a very, very sore eye as he managed to poke his eye with the eye drop dispenser (fortunately single use). Why is it necessary to actually see the dispenser as it delivers the drops into the eye?
Today I roped him into helping move some stuff from the old U3A digs to our new home in which we will no longer be the poor cousins at the mercy of the whims of our landlords. It was good to see him interacting with other people and I think he got a buzz out of helping.
We have long been meaning to have neighbours over for a drink and one of our neighbours works at the local waste transfer station so as we were dropping some e-waste off from the U3A move we invited him and his wife for Christmas drinks on Monday. We then invited their next door neighbours (across the road from us) as well. The last time we had neighbours over for drinks was exactly 12 months ago when Crazy Neighbour came and turned feral on us. I think I will have to stipulate that feral behaviour won't be tolerated!!!!
I have had more social festive functions this year than I have for many a year. It is lovely feeling part of a community.
We were going to ignore Christmas Day completely but Himself bought an Aldi stuffed turkey breast so I guess I'll have to buy spuds and greens and a pud and some bubbles so we will actually have a semblance of a traditional meal! Knowing that Two and Three and their lot are coming down on the 27th is uplifting as well.
So yes, I am a bit brighter than the last time I posted and I can honestly say that most of that is due to the insightful, supportive, understanding comments from you lot.
No matter how we try to ignore the busyness of Christmas, it creeps up on us. I hope your neighbourly drinks go well.
ReplyDeleteThankyou. We haven't had neighbours over since we left Bonbeach in 2017!
DeleteYou're sounding much better, and I hope you enjoy the unexpected Christmas dinner!
ReplyDeleteIt's nothing fancy and just the two of us but I guess Christmas memories run deep.
DeleteI'm glad you're feeling better. Our brains can be assholes.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right. Hope things are improving for you, too.
DeleteWhat Pixie said reminded me of an old Cher interview I saw the other day. The interviewer asked her, "What's the best thing about you?"
ReplyDelete"My brain," she said. "What's the worst thing about you?" he asked.
"My brain," she said again. No further explanation needed.
Cher is almost as wise as you, Ms Moon.
DeleteLakes to yanakie is quite the hike. At least it was scenic I guess.
ReplyDeleteSo happy your happy.
It's not the prettiest of drives but the scenery does change from East to South Gippy.
DeleteThank you for being happy. We will have to catch up in the New Year either here or there!
I think the reason my drive to your town seemed to take so long was that I wasn't familiar with the roads, and so there weren't really markers to tick off and know how long it is to the next marker. It was better coming home.
ReplyDeleteYou are certainly busy in the lead up to the big day, which won't be so big for you.
I expect it might be useful to have a friend who works at the waste transfer station.
I think you're right, Andrew. Things I had noticed on the way up appeared quite quickly on the way back.
DeleteOur neighbour at the transfer station has just sold their house and will be moving mid Jan. Bugger.
I don't think it matters where you go, or how far, coming home is always faster. That's something I like, the sooner I'm home the better I feel.
ReplyDeleteThere is a quicker way to get to our house but I always like to come down the hill as the view across to the entrance always says home to me and reminds me why we are here. Nothing like home, eh?
DeleteI'm glad your holidays are looking up this year! Dogs are always a good excuse to get out of unwanted or awkward social engagements. Not that I know this from personal experience. :)
ReplyDeleteI envy your long drive. I love a long drive by myself, and I never get them now.