Sunday, 8 June 2025

Out and about

I have never understood the appeal of these but kids all around the world seem to love them. After reading this I am even less enamoured (to save you googling if you are not vehicularly inclined, Prestone is anti-freeze) ... 


On Thursday I drove the two and a bit hours to Traralgon to donate plasma. It makes for a long day but the drive never disappoints and I always try to explore somewhere I haven't been before. This was on the way home ...









... I wasn't sure if this was serious but seeing what appeared to be several smaller fires in a cluster I assumed it was a planned burn. I wasn't going to drive all the way to find out as even though I did take a detour, the fire stayed on the horizon. And no, I wouldn't have driven anywhere near it, I was just trying to get a sense of where it was.




I will never tire of the countryside. We are known as the Big Country for a reason. Even our skies seem big ...




On Friday we took Jinx back to the vet to get her eyes checked. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it before but she has been diagnosed with an auto-immune condition that if not treated would result in painful corneal ulceration and blindness. Needless to say I am the one who administers the drops and Himself gets to give the treat afterwards. No prizes for guessing who is the more popular human in this household.



It's definitely winter here. We have had a bitterly cold snap which is unusual this early in the season. Yesterday I decided a slow cooker casserole was in order.

I was so cold I decided to hug the cooker. 

You can see the steam bubbling under the lid and where it has bubbled out from underneath the lid.

 

I wonder how many other people have managed to scald the underside of their upper arms from hugging a slow cooker.

8 comments:

  1. I have never hugged my slowcooker. I don't even take it out of the cupboard! I forget it's there. Love the black cows, haven't seen any in decades. Hope Jinx's eyes are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully I wasn’t drinking anything when I read about the zooperdoopers Or I’d of sprayed myself lol
    I buy them for the boys to have at the workshop when it’s hot. You can get sugar free ones and also the sour taste ones.
    I haven’t burnt myself hugging a slow cooker but
    I did jam my hand between the wood and the top of the fireplace.
    It was bruised and burnt.
    Not a good day that

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always turn the heating up, or on! I have a slow cooker. I wonder where it is? Not my department.
    What are they called, Icy Pops? I doubt there is one bit of goodness in them unless in the extremely unlikely event you are deficient in sugar.
    Your land looks so dry. I hope you've received some rain. The Otways copped a bucketing today, which was so well needed. My nephew's mother in law with the apple orchard has never seen the level of the Gellibrand River so low.
    They are fine looking cattle. It's homemade garlic prawns for me tonight, apparently. Chef has just apologised for dinner being a bit late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big skies - perfect for stargazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I literally have those Icy Pops in my freezer right now. I eat them in the summer when it's stinking hot and share them w/the dogs. They love them. Some brands definitely taste better than others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do live in Big Country. Did you know that here in the US Big Sky Country refers to Montana and parts of Idaho and Wyoming? So different from where I live, all beautiful in their own ways.
    You are a good human to drive that far to donate plasma. And to give Jinx her drops.
    It is good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I hope you don't go hugging the cooker ever again! In Britain those popsicles would be called "iced lollies," which I think is the funniest name. We got some at work the other day for lunch. (Not Windex-flavored. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my slow cooker, ( even though I don’t hug it. ) I ‘d rather cut my arm off than have to give it up. Penguin.

    ReplyDelete